1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you put an 81-87 front clip on a 73-80

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jpocket, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I just bought a 1980 DUMP 4X4 Central Hydraulics, 8.5 blade Flink Salt spreader, New motor & Trans.

I am selling my 86' 2wd dump. QUestion is will the fenders and hood off of a 81-87 GMC fit my 1980?

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the best site on the web is www.ck5.com we have done this lots of times and some writeups also. you will need a complet frt clip from 81-up. also you will need the wiper cowel as this is now bolted to the cap . your old style is part of the hood. then you will need to modify the cab just a bit to mount the hinges. this will need to be done in the cowl corners. then dont forget the wiring harness. should be a simple plug and play. last thing i can think of is the radiator. 80-older is about 2" shorter. great time to up gradade t0o bigger 81-up style.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Cool I might do it one day when once things start dieing down.

5. crete5245

crete5245 Member

Yes it can. I did it to my 77. I bought a Texas truck which was a 74 cab and put 81 and
    newer front clip. The only hard part is the hood hinges, after that it is not to bad to do.

6. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

hood hinges are the bibgest ordeal yes

and if you use stock bumper then you wil have to cut your 80 frame horn ends off at the same angle that the 81 up ones are cut and use all the 81-up brackets and bumper, basically 45 degrees

or run no bumper :D

also wil have to modify lighting harness a bit due to parking lamps in 81 and 82 being down in the bumper unlike all other 73-87's and not since 71 and 72 (in which were the last two years of the old CST era body style)

good luck