1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you put a plow on a 2.7L Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by joleger, Jan 24, 2010.

1. joleger

joleger Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a light duty truck. I would like to get one that I could also put a plow on for personal use. I am very interested in the Tacoma with the 2.7L engine.

Could I put a small plow on this truck so that I can plow my 500m driveway?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jason

2. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Just go to a brands site and input your info. I am sure you can get one. I had one on an old s10

3. gsxwonger

gsxwonger Junior Member

i just put one on my 04 tacoma. 2.7. works good so far and i cleaned up a small parking lot. havnet needed to go in 4 lo yet. pushes good.

4. joleger

joleger Junior Member

Thanks GSX,

May I ask you what type of plow you have? Do you have the TRD off-road package?

5. gsxwonger

gsxwonger Junior Member

im running a fisher mm1 6' 9". no trd on mine. wish i had the locking diff but i havent needed it yet. just using a heavy ballist (about 600 - 700lb) my truck has a 3 inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift on it.
    i put an add-a-leaf in the back with billistien shocks.

6. gsxwonger

gsxwonger Junior Member

7. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

You would never even use diff lock when plowing because it only works in low gear and the first gear in high is low enough I would say. The 2.7 is kind soft to plow with but it would do the job. The 3.4 would be a little better if you could swing it. My opinion anyway.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

9. 98tacoma

98tacoma Junior Member

snowsport plow

Had a snowsport plow on my 98 tacoma w/ the 4cyl engine, 5sp, pushed great and adds minimal weight to the truck. Have it now on my 02 4runner. Didn't have to do any mods (other than add a front receiver hitch), no ballast. Just put the plow on and go, really couldn't be any simpler. Here's some nice pics of the yota w/ the snowsport at work. Personally, I couldn't justify spending the price of a "real" plow for just doing your own drive. I'm in under $900 for mine.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=59806

10. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

Had a 6.9 LD on my 95.5 Tacoma 2.7L It handled the plow fine (get some ballast in the back and use low range). Never had problems pushing snow.

11. gsxwonger

gsxwonger Junior Member

its a fisher 6,9 ld its 24 inches i think tall and about 472 lbs. kinda heavy for the truck but it holds it well.

12. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

A Western Suburbanite or Fisher Homesteader (same plow basically) is the probably the the lightest weight fully functional plow you can buy. I know a guy with one on an S10 blazer and it works great. I was thinking I've seen these as low as $2,800-2,900 if you look through sponsor links.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010