1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you PUSH snow with a 2wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ProThermal, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ProThermal

ProThermal Junior Member

Hey guys,

thanks for your help. I pushed snow for 2 years, then took 2 years off. Now this year i got a little money and thought id start looking for a truck to get back in the biz this year. I live in Kansas city,MO and missed out on a descent enuff snow season last year.

I cant start fancy by any means, and older models are easy enuff to work on so thats what ill be lookin at. I found this truck and can get my hands on it really cheap from a guy selling his farm, problem is, its a 2 wheel drive. Am i stretching it too far trying to use it to plow snow?

89 GMC 1 ton
    flatbed
    runs and drives good
    has 454 motor with 400 tranny
    2 wheel drive tho

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, qute a bit of weight and aggressive snow tires. Keep it on flat ground also.

3. ProThermal

ProThermal Junior Member

Thanks, was hoping it would work. its a shame its not 4x4 tho.

I may have to learn to build one. there is so many project trucks around my area if i had the time one could finish building what someone else started and have a hell of a pusher.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It will work, just put alot of weight in the back and don't let the front tires go down into a dip.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, you can PUSH snow with a 2wd.

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

2wd

Here we go again. Lets just nip this int the bud. Yes you can push snow w/ a 2wd, I have done it along with many other supposed cost saving ideas, mostly cuz I hate debt(payments) and the pressure that goes with. Don't do it, If you can't justify the cost of even a cheaper 4x4 to plow with, wether getting paid for work or just doing it for yourself, well than here's your kick in the a$$, you should not be considering it at all. It's just that simple, and I'm sure a bunch of guy's on here will say, "Yeah, sure you can do that." When I know in their heart they WANT a 4x4 and you'll never convince me of anything else. Remember, I've done it. Anyone one can find a sweet clean lowmile powerful 2wd for cheap. There's a reason, limited use ESPECIALLY in the winter. Good luck man.

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

You can definetly plow with a 2wd, nut it only takes that one time getting stuck to regret it!! I hardly ever use 4wd, but its there if I need it. Just have to be extremly smart about where you are plowing, like the other guys said, hills and other areas must be avoided.

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

2wd will work for light fluffy small snow accumulations, you better be very skilled, and any money u save ulll loose in fuel and strain on the truck due to the extremem amount of weight your carrying around in the back. make sure you have a winch, metal shovel and some sand ready, cause ur gonna get stuck a lot...

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Will a 2wd push snow yes, would I personally do it not.
    If I was going to invest in time and money to put a plow on a truck I would only be using a 4wd.
    The exception would be something over a 1.5 ton truck with dually's and lots of weight in the back,
    Just my opinion

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You said you plowed for 2 years, did you ever plow in 2 wd. you know drove to the second place and forgot to put it in 4 wd, howd it work?

11. ProThermal

ProThermal Junior Member

NO, i didnt plow in a 2wd. i always plowed in 4wd high. im quite sure 2wd isnt anyones 1st choice, not even mine, but all the feedback has been great. my thoughts were since that truck has the horsepower and a good tranny and i could put chains on it, that i could get away with it, at least till i did get a 4wd. the truck is from auction for only $650 (so far). Thats pretty tempting to buy to get started and then would be a great truck to keep a salt spreader on afterwards.

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

does a bear sh1t in the woods?

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

14. sgpmi10

sgpmi10 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

what does everyone plow in most of the time?

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I plow in 2 wheel on pavement lots so I can actually turn sharper, otherwise gravel lots or anything icy it's 4 wheel.

16. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I plow in 2wd all the time, But, if its icy or I'm on a slant then I'm in 4wd to get out of it and back to 2wd, it's how I do it, everyone's different.

17. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

my truck gets put into 4hi before leaving my driveway and doesn't get put back into 2 wheel drive until my last job is done if the roads are good and if they aren't it stays in 4hi until I'm home.

18. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

19. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I do 90% of my plowing in 2wd. Only time I'm in 4wd is back dragging out loading docks or pushing heavy heavy snow up hill. Otherwise I'm in 2wd. At the end of the day a good chunk of it is the driver.

20. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Yes you can, those rear diffs are junk unless you have a limited slip though.

I installed a Detroit Locker in my 97 C2500 a few years ago, and with aggressive tires I have no problems coming and going out of muddy fields.

Just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD though.