1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you or can't you plow with a GMC 1/2 Ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 95LongHaul, Oct 17, 2002.

1. 95LongHaul

95LongHaul Junior Member

I am thinking of purchasing a Boss poly plow 7.5' for my 95 GMC 1/2 ton ext cab. I have heard everything from "It will never work" to "It will be fine".

Does anyone have personal experience with this that can give me a good answer? I will only be plowing a max of three drives, one that is 400 feet. What are the limiting factors and what should I watch out for?
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If it was me, I'd put a 7.5 or 8' Sno-Way on that truck and not worry about it at all. The Sno-Way will be lighter than the Boss and is as good a plow. Price should be about the same. We did a lot of plowing with an 89 K1500 with standard cab and long box.

RYAN SMITH Junior Member
    from PA

If it was me i would never plow with a half ton they are just not built heavy enough

STEVE VITALE Junior Member

We have a 93 chevy 1500 that we bought new that year with
    the sno plow prep package and a 7 1/2 ft. western plow and
    have never had a problem with that truck.
  5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have a 1990 1/2 ton with almost 150,000 miles that was used by a municipality before we bought it. I use it primarily as a backup truck for plowing, but would not think twice about sending that truck out to do a route. It will push with the best of them. Last season we had it push a 6 acre lot solo during a couple of 2" events.

I cannot speak for others, but I would buy another 1/2 ton shortbed plow truck in a minute! When that truck dies, I would gladly replace it with an updated used version to fit the same need as the old truck. The shortbed turns like nobodies business and in tight one and two acre lots, they excel. I can outperform my 8.5' V Plow on a 3/4 Ton with the 1/2 Ton Chevy shortbed and a 7.5' straight blade in some lots.

Now, if you were buying brand new, 8' bed trucks, my advice would be buy the 3/4 ton for the little bit of extra money. But that is not the question presented. :)
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

1992 Chevy 1500 regular cab, short bed, with 350 motor, auto trans, 4x4 with a Western 7 1/2ft Pro Plow which was all bought new by my brother back in 92. We have used the truck all these years to do a good deal of plowing and never had a problem. I just recently bought the truck off him and i intend to keep right on using it for plowing, as a matter of fact, i cant wait for the snow to start falling now thats its all mine and not his anymore. We used to both use it but i didnt get to use it as much as i wanted to on my own cause he was always out with it doing peoples driveways. Regardless of what alot of people say about not being able to plow with a Chevy truck cause they arent heavy duty or cause they dont have a solid front axle, we did just fine for 10 years and i know many many people with Chevy trucks with plows that do fine too. I wouldnt say go stick an 8ft Fisher HD plow on it, but 7 1/2ft like i have is not a problem whatsoever. Mike
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sorry double post.
  8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I HAVE a 1995 Chevrolet 1500 ext cab Z71.

Mounted a Boss 8.2V in 1998.

4 years of plowing w/ ZERO problems.
  9. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

1976 blazer converted to a pickup 350 trans, 350 motor 1 extra leaf spring in front , 9' western with TURK-KEY WINGS is a plowing machine no troubles used for alottttttt of years.

10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

94 GMC 1500, 7.5 Western Pro plow. 315,000 km very few problems, still has the original tranny, transfer case, rear diff. and most of the front end parts(put on a idler arm and a pitman arm).I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying another one. My Bronco on the other hand is another story.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Mine has about 140k miles and we replaced Idler arm twice i believe over the years and Pitman arm once few weeks ago. Hey Razor, did you do the Pitman arm yourself? Fun job wasnt it? I was cursing the whole time, everything was in the way, working upside down and backwards and everything is loaded with grease too. Dirty messy job and the steering box had to be unbolted also to be able to get a puller on the Pitman arm. Not the hardest thing in the world to do, but 2wd Chevy pickups are wayyyyyyyy easier to do. Mike
  12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I've got ya all beat

I plow with an 82 Dodge 1/2 ton with a 4 speed:eek:
    Plus it has the tower of power slant 6:eek:
    Believe it or not it works pretty well except reverse is way slow.
    If I had my choice I would have a 3/4 tonner with a v plow but its what I had and what the budget will allow for now.

I like my 1/2 ton
    Mark K
  13. wall's

wall's Junior Member

I have a 99 1/2 ton and have the snow way 7 1/2 and it is fine.
  14. casey

casey Banned

Most contractors around here run 1/2 tons. They're everywhere after a fall. One I know of has been running at least 6 seasons.
  15. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

First to MIKE 97 SS have you heard of a car / pressure wash to remove all that crud before you start a job on the truck? Sure saves alot of rags and cleaning.

As to the question posed on the CHEVE. Have mounted lots of plows on the 88-98 CHEVE / GMC's. Most are no problem. The key is to use the lightest plow you can for what you have to do. This holds for any vehicle mount.

The short beds give excellent turning radius. What we have run into is too heavy a plow results in PITMAN arms as already noted and POWER STEERING PROBLEMS. You will want weight in the rear to get some of the extra weight off the front end. You may want to depending on budget want to replace the torsion bars with 3/4 ton bars. You can get away with just turning them up in most instances.

FYI Plow weights on 7.5's std plows

Western steel 595 poly 615
    Fisher Steel 615 poly 645
    Boss Steel with rapitachIII 620# avg ( they have a lighter one coming available )
    Sno-Way 593 lb avg in steel
    BLIZZARD 550 lb

Sno-Way and BLIZZARD put all the weight on the blade the others leave a lot hanging on the truck ( lift frame and pump )

Just .02

Don't shy away from the short bed you will be happy with it.

16. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Mike 97 SS

No I didn't replace the pitman arm myself, I'm lucky I have 3 buddys who are mechanics. I think the only resean I it had to be replaced is that the skid-plate hid the grease nipple so it didn't get greased too often. But I remember him swearing a few times while he was changing it so it must have been a hard task.

17. Nova

Nova Member

'98 GMC 1500 Z71 6.5 Turbo Diesel, Western 7.5' Standard.

Last winter was the first year, so far so good. No problems to report, truck seems to handle the plow just fine even with the extra weight of the diesel, putting Timbrens on before this season though to help with front end sag.
  18. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

1999 2.7L Toyota Tacoma X-Cab "1/2 ton"
    --personal use only--

Just waiting for my 2nd season...
  19. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Guess I better not put this one on the road! :)

View attachment 88sfront.jpg
  20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GM 1/2 tons will plow great and work hard. I
    have had several.......This time I had to go to
    3/4 ton because Gm does not offer plow prep
    on 1/2 ex-cabs......They will NOT honor warranty
    service on plow related breakage ie; motor,
    trans, etc.......on a non prep pkg. equipped
    truck ( as many other mfrs. do also).......geo