1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you mount an Airflo MSS in the bed?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bosman, Oct 9, 2009.

1. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I know they are built to slide in the receiver hitch, but can it be mounted in the bed or should I just get the pro flo 2?

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We have two Airflo MSS that are just backups now, but these came out before the whole hitch receiver design. There were designed to be bolded on the top of the bumper and thats where ours are mounted. Now as for mounting them in the box, I have seen others that bolted them to the back of the truck box, which makes them higher up then a bumper mount. So it can be done, not sure if it's a mount option on new ones, or if you would have to fab it up

Not sure this old photo will help, and sorry it's such a bad shot only one I have on hand from long ago. Basically it's just attached to a bracket that goes over the top of the bumper and down the front of it. I can try to get a better photo if you need.

IMG_0029b.JPG

3. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, your pic really helps, my local dealer had no idea. I think I'll have to go with the pro flo 2 so I can still get to the hitch for a trailer.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We have two downeaster model spreaders both of which are mounted to a heavy duty piece of plywood custom cut to the size of the bed. Once the unit is lifted into the truck, we use 4 heavy duty tie downs to hold the spreader in.

DSC00009.jpg

5. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Now thats the ticket, I really prefer the Airflo over the Western, thanks for the advice and the picture. By the way thats a sweet rig for parking garages.....not too tall.

6. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I have mine mounted half in the bed of my 350 and half out on a hitch I made comming out of the hitch. It works great because it does not stick out to far and you can see behind you clearly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010