1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you mount an 8 Ft V-box in a 6 Ft bed?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Dec 7, 2006.

1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Using the tailgate as an extension?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wouldn't use the tailgate, though, there's no structural support. The guy who works on my vehicles puts an 8' in a 6' bed. I don't think he uses anything to support the back two feet, just straps it from the corners.
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

Good news. I would even consider buying a junk used tailgate as well from a junkyard. It has to provide "some" stability wouldnt you think Mick?

Id certainly have it strapped in and bolted down.
  4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I've seen it down, just driving by someone that had done it.

Would I do it, no, would I suggest doing it no. A V-box pulls the salt to the back end, you may start out with 1 or two tons evenly spread over the whole 8 feet, but run it for a little and most that weight is now at the back end. and in the case of 8 foot in a 6 foot box, that weight is on the tailgate, that is held on by two cables. Seems dangerous to me.
  5. Mick

from Maine

Yeah, with a junk tailgate. It would provide some minimal support, I would think. But, if it was hooked to the sides like usual, I'd expect it to pull in the sides, too. Maybe run a couple pieces of flat iron between the box and bed? Bruce'sEx has a point, too, that most of the weight winds up at the rear, so you'd want to make sure it's strapped and bolted well. I don't see why you couldn't make it work, though.
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

Id certainly have the unit bolted to the frame. You guys do bolt these to the frames, right?

Or is that a misconception.

I could also fab some support bracing to carry the weight down to the frame in back. Im sure it could be done and be safe.

maybe not as great as a 8 foot box, but Id not want to buy a different truck just for that, or buy a 6 footer that only holds 3/4ths a ton.

Course....we are talking a half ton truck too so...theres that as well.

Maybe a 6 footer is a better idea.

Just thinkin outloud for next season since Im getting real tired of not plowing this year yet and few times last year, and this only happens if I can do the sub work on the four commercials I sub for, or if I get my own commercials.
  7. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats what Im thinking but its also a half ton Mick. 4000 lbs of salt, and a 800 lb spreadr would be a lot....of course the number goes down quickly as you spread.

What do you think?

But hell...that even over loads the gvwr on a 3/4 ton for a time until you unload some product.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  8. LLM Ann Arbor

I remember once carrying 5000 lbs of cobblestone in my 3/4 ton I had in the early nineties and it was down on the nubs.

The load weighed more than the truck.

How do you guys carry that weight in a 3/4 ton.
  9. Mick

from Maine

That changes everything. I put my 8' Vbox in my 1/2 ton Dodge and empty it nearly lifted the front end off the ground. Wouldn't steer worth a sh--. Finally got in backed into the garage so I could get the box off it, then refused to start again for two days.

I know not starting didn't have anything to do with being overloaded, just seemed ironic - like being tempermental.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

Looks like a 6 footer would be prudent.

can you overload these things from what the factory claims they hold?

Keep in mind some of the stainless deals only weigh 800 lbs. Id never out a steel one in anyhow....
  11. Mick

from Maine

I really don't know what the half ton could handle for a load. I would think 1000 pounds would be about it. With the sander being 800#, that doesn't leave much for material.
  12. LLM Ann Arbor

Well Its got to be more than that, but probably not more than 2500. I haul pallets of fert sometimes with no problem.

Keep in mind the weight goes away fast.

Thanks for the input and back and forth Mick. Ill be looking into the numbers more closely.
  13. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I don't think the weight will be an issue, that can be compensated w/ airbags. The problem is going to be the length & the support for the last couple feet. I have seen several tailgate cables snap from having 2 or 3 guys just sitting on them. I'd really hate to have this happen w/ a spreader on it, even if it was bolted in.
  14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I know a guy thats done it for years with several trucks. Just bolt in a couiple pieces of channel or heavy tubing. Run them the length of the bed and have them hang out of the bed 2 feet. Bolt them in and drop in the spreader. The steel tubing/channel helps support the last two feet. The tie the spreader down at the four corners of the bed using heavy ratchet tiedowns. But like someelse said, how much material can you load in the v box in a 1/2 ton. Safety first.
  15. LLM Ann Arbor

Well thats whatb Im sayin. I dont see a problem loading the unit now with some prep, but 5000 lbs in the back of a 1/2 ton is way too much. Its really way too much for a 3/4 ton too honestly.
  16. kingplow

kingplow Member

i would just be cautious of where your backing up could be a costly mistake:D
  17. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I have a 97 F250 HD with an 8 ft. bed. It is not enough truck to handle a full 2 yards of salt. And I even added a leaf spring. The issue is, as was mentioned earlier, weight distribution and how it effects steering. Also, the GVWR is certainly going to be exceeded, and that opens you up to some serious liability.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're going to be overloading the rear axle in a heartbeat attempting to do this. The mid point of the spreader is going to be either at the center of the axle or behind it, changing the fulcrum to rear of the axle taking the weight off the front axle and causing lots of safety issues from steering to braking.

By the right tool for the job. You don't buy a trimmer to mow lawns, so don't buy a spreader for a 1/2 ton that won't be safe and legal. Well, most of us don't buy trimmers for mowing entire lawns.

Why don't you sub out your salting work until you can afford the right size truck? lol!!!!!!!!

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i loaded a pallet of mulch into my 99 ram 1500 one time, and it almost flatened out the leaf springs, lol not too too sure what a full pallet of mulch weights id imagine around 1000pds maybe a bit more, so i cant imagine ever putting a snader, with 2 yars of sand/salt on a half ton.
  20. BobC

BobC Senior Member

If you were in my area I would do the salt for you. There always is idle time between pre-salting and time to start plowing. I'm sure you could make arrangements in your area with someone.