1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you make a SEHP Faster?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowguy43, Dec 31, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could swap in insta act Cartridges or pump or whatever so that my plow will angle faster? The plow works fine now, but I used a Boss Superduty at work and was amazed how much faster it was. Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's possible to increase the speed of a hydraulic system, increase the pump capacity, motor HP, decrease piston bore, etc. The simplest, cheapest, most trouble free method would be trade it in for a Boss (Snoways are pretty quick too.:D)

3. plowguy43

I don't see that being cheaper and snoways are built like toys.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn:

Mmmm, that sounds good....

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:laughing::laughing:It's like the realitors say, it's location, location, location.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You relation to Dean?

7. plowguy43

Don't get me wrong I'd love a boss but my fisher was $1000 and works great, selling it and paying the difference on a new plow isn't really worth it now. Snoways are big in my area, they are expensive (they wanted $4800 for a setup for my truck), and they don't look built nearly as well as the others- especially boss or fisher.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of Sno-Way up there? Never even seen one down here.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a ten plus year old $1000 plow to perform as quickly as a brand new $5000 unit.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I knew it, but I had read it a couple times before I put it together........

10. plowguy43

Sorry I'm typing from my phone, I meant they aren't big up here. I'm not expecting it to work like a new one, I was simply asking if there was anything I could do to it to make it faster is all. I understand its old ad beat up, but its paid for, has paid me back plenty of times over, but anything that helps me be faster when plowing helps.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Age wouldn't make any difference, the Super Duty's were just as fast as they are today way back when DD was pushing the SEHP pumps as the latest and greatest technology in your neck of the woods. You just didn't know it back then. :D

No real way to speed your hydros up without spending some sizable money. Even swapping to a current Insta-act pump ($$$) won't make it as fast as a super duty if that's what you're comparing to. However, if your unit has years of age a fresh motor and some service may help some.

12. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Sorry for the (partial) hi-jack,

what about lift speed? Can that be increased? I know the drop speed can be adjusted, and I'm happy with the PA speeds.... But I didn't see anything in the manual about raise-speed...

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No lift speed adjustably possible. Well, not without a pump volume or motor HP increase anyway. :D

But note that if the quill is adjusted in too far it can slow the lift speed also.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do they make headers for plow motors? What about intake kits....

15. plowguy43

Well I appreciate the help B&B like always. I'm about to buy my friends MM2 off of him but he's been waiting to trade his truck in. Either way the SEHP has been getting the job done and hasn't left me stranded while out plowing.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Having a experienced tech go over it check the pressures, maybe jazz the PR to get pump pressures back up if possible, replace if necessary, clean/replace the pick up filter, adjust the quill, increase the size of the power wires, go to Anderson connectors, check the amp draw on the motor, change if too high, change to the two terminal motor if it is the single post, change out the ATF, flush and fill with premium hydraulic fluid, increase the cable size from your alt. to battery, increase the AMP hour capacity of the battery, remove the skid feet and bolt on wear edge to decrease weight. All these things have been covered in numerous previous threads and can be searched on the site. They all can improve the performance of your SHPE but as B&B stated; not to the speed of the Boss (or Snoway;))

17. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Plowguy, when was your last filter change? One thing I remember about those SEHP's is that I was always amazed at how fast they would get after a fluid and filter change. (Or even a filter cleaning)

18. plowguy43

I haven't changed the filter but have heard the same thing. I'll change it this weekend. As for everything else, I'm not going to bother as I just changed the cables because the previous owner had it wired backwards and I replaced most everything trying to figure it out. Basher- thank you but I've flushed it 4 times this season with fisher fluid, replaced the coil Twice, upgraded the cables and checked all connections to the altenator and battery. Like I said, it runs fine I was just wondering if parts from the newer plows were interchangeable to maybe make it angle faster is all. Preach about snoway all you want, I don't think they are good plows. Mine is old yet still works great, I have yet to see an older snoway actually work let alone have the lexan moldboard still one it (they are usually replaced by steal). On top of that the truck side mounts are huge and combersome.