1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you help the new girl?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mikkinosweat, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mikkinosweat

mikkinosweat Junior Member

I just bought a Western 6' plow . :) The person that I bought it from is taking it off a '96 Dodge Dakota and I'm going to put it on our '00 Dodge Ram 1500. So would anyone know if this is going to bolt up or should I get ahold of someone to fabricate it for me? I didn't get to look at the mounting system just the plow. I know dumb but I got it from a guy that I work with and he's scared of me :gunsfiring: so I figure what the hell. Plow is in great shape by the way. 10" in the forecast so I'm getting ready! Thanks Guys and Gals
    :drinkup:

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Is it a uni mount or ultra mount I am also sure that the frame mounts from the dakota to the ram is completely different and why put a 6 ft blade on a ram, a 7'6" blade is as wide as the ram, If this is how you want to go forward I would see a Western Dealer to do the install prsport

3. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

That plow is gonna be too narrow for your truck. You'll need at least a 7'6" anyway. Fourbycb is right. All the best!

4. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Ummmmm...yah, a 6 foot plow is way too small for a full sized pickup. I really don't think it's worth even trying to mount it. You're not even going to be able to plow a path for yourself with that setup. A 7.5 foot or 8 foot plow is pretty much standard for a full sized truck.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I agree with Darryl... but 8' is the smallest I'd go !!:nod:

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the mount will not mount up to your truck..Different frame setup

6' plow is way too small for your truck..

7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I was thinking and I hate to say, but I think you're friend may have taken advantage of you. If he knew you were planning on putting the plow on a Ram, he should have told you that it's too small for your truck and not even sold it to you.

Your vehicle width is just short of 80 inches and the plow is only 72 inches, so even running it straight, the plow doesn't cover the width of your vehicle. When you angle a plow, it effectively makes it even shorter.

Can you get out of this deal? It seems like you were excited about it but it's just not the right plow for you. Best wishes and hope you can find a more suitable plow.

8. mikkinosweat

Ok hang on I do have a Dakota too but I was hoping to put it on the Ram. I thought it would be alittle small but didn't think about when I angle the plow. lol Thank God I'm not blonde or this could of been really bad.:blush2: So just to save the disscussion with the boyfriend who thought that anything else would be too big I have my ducks in a row now. Now to piss off the x husband and take the "custom" bumper and guard of my Dakota HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA How sweat Revenge is.

9. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Yah, well since it's coming off a Dakota anyway that would be a much better match up. It is four wheel drive, right?

Does Western even make a 6 foot plow? I think it's probably 6.5 feet, still too small for the Ram though.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

What year is your Dakota?

11. mikkinosweat

I have a '93. Very high miles but I have takin very good care of her.
    4x4 3.9L Extended cab.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. mikkinosweat

Well I'm off to do a second round of snow. Thank You all. I did only pay $650 for the plow and it is in very good condition so if nothing else I might just put it up for sale. lol
    As my dad has taught me over the years take care of your equipment and it will take care of and if I want it bad enough I will have get it! Have a great day!

13. mikkinosweat

Ok I must fix my booboo i have a 3.6 in the Dakota and a 4.9 in the exped. I have had 2 hours a sleep and watched a guy plow over 2 mailboxes today. I think he was trying to see if I was a girl, it was priceless.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

6' is too small for a Dakota also, it'll work but isn't perfect. Most days I think my I should have looked for an 8' for mine.

3.9 is correct for a 93, engine options for that year were 2.5 - 4 cyl, 3.9 - 6 cyl or 5.2 - 8 cyl.

15. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

haha i almost hit a mailbox when i noticed a good looking woman plowing the pizza hut next to the Mexican restaurant i was plowing.

16. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I can't stop laughing Mikki...4 snow shovels and 2 scrapers...just don't see many people listing their equipment to that level of detail. I can't even count how many shovels I have but I know I just put 2 big pushers, 2 grain shovels, one smaller push, 1 small scooper, 2 small metal square shovels, a metal ice scraper, and a prybar in my truck. And I got a scraper and a wisk broom for clearing off the truck too. No boobs though, lol.

17. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

My plow is 6'8" and thats the minimum I'd go with. Its at the limit when I angle it.

18. mikkinosweat

darryl g - I forgot the broom that I put into the back today to sweep all the dam snow out of the truck and my mighty salt spreader. lol I do get to get a new house broom now though. I'm just wondering if I should charge extra for the boobs. lol Good night to all got to go clean up job sights in the early am. Ok so I was right on the engine size. I am a dodge girl and always will be and since I bought my expedition I just get pissy when I hear the word FORD. One company that I worked for gave me a 01 ford for a crew truck and dam I worked more in the shop then in the feild some weeks but me and the mechanic were tight. mower break down and he was rite there. Odd how I never saw him in the winter though.

19. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Planning is key to controlling enthusiasm. Though enthusiasm is good, and NEEDED, you should try to Keep up your level of service this year and start planning out next year(or two) if you wanna keep your 6.5 plow,,,find a jeep and you have an excellent driveway rig, and something fun to drive in the summer. If you really wanna plow with the ram, sell the 6.5 and find a decent lighter weight setup for the 1500. Or you could always use the most cost effective option of finding a used 3/4 ton with a plow already on it, and it doesnt beat up your daily driver.

20. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Yah, add the broom to your signature too. And I think you probably can charge xtra for the boobs ;)

I'm a Chevy guy all the way but I won't hold your Dodge preference against you. As long as we both hate Fords. ROFL

I have to get some sleep myself, will probably be up most of the night tomorrow.