1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you hard wire lights?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cuffnup, Dec 17, 2011.

1. cuffnup

cuffnup Junior Member

All right fellas I am sick and tired of my light modules going out...and I refuse to upgrade to the newer style modules for the price they want for them. Is there a problem with just tapping into the light wires with splices and still running the hot wires to the plow lights with the toggle switch? If you have done this to yours what problems did you run into? Thanks ...oh ya I forgot to tell you I have an 06 chevy duramax diesel with two batteries and am running a ST 7.5 meyer with the newer lights.

2. cuffnup

cuffnup Junior Member

...or should you put any resistors or anything in it so the load isnt that bad..any ideas?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes. Maybe a couple of CMOS chips

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My meyer is has no relays, diodes or modules for the headlights. 94 f150 with st 7.5. Truck lights to a 6 pin toggle switch then back out to plow and truck lights. Not a single issue in 6 years. Before the F150 this setup was used on 86 Bronco for at least 10 years.

I have no idea what effect a setup like this would have on a newer vehicle, especially one that has DRL.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

run it with relays and an on/off/on toggle switch. smith bros. website has a diagram and instructions telling how to do it. i did this on mine and it works perfectly. if you tap into the existing headlights without the modules the computer will go crazy.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

If hard wire would be heavy enough wire on its own power source with a power switch ...why not...just don't use an existing circuit

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Found the diagram on Meyer site. Just remember this is for Trucklite, not Nite Saber.

1-625 R4 07969 Kit .pdf (application-pdf Object)_1324216326434.jpg

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The system that came on my Meyer, which I believe is common to all brands, was needlessly complicated. When it started failing I ran straight wires to a plain toggle switch and it was way better. (These days I'd use a relay and avoid having to run heavy wire the whole way.) I just had to pay attention to which lights I was turning on at any given time...no big deal.

I don't remember what I did about high beams, though. That was a long time ago.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

hard wires with relays from junkyard truck .

found 88-94 style chevy trucks with a/c had nice 3 or 4 bank replay pack just behind dash on a/c / heater box . and most times you just need phillips screw driver or 7 or 8 mm nut driver along with wire cutters to pull them.

all i did was wire them in to master power switch to activate with switch on dash. then if on it was triggered via tee'ing in to stock high/low to trip each relay on/off.

this also let me have 2x the headlights on for visability.

10. cuffnup

cuffnup Junior Member

Okay I must be missing something! I tapped into the running and turn lights no problem..they work. Now the Nite Saber headlight has three wires attached to it...the white one is the common wire hook up but it doesnt matter how I test hook the wires up to 12 volts the high and low beams will not come on...I must be supid or something but what am I doing wrong?

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. cuffnup

cuffnup Junior Member

Got it thanks!! it took two toggle switches but its all good now

13. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

There is no need for relays resistors or any other crap i hard wired mine in from day one. Got my pwer feed from under the dash from ignition wire gave it a proper ground and hooked up a toggler switch with 25 amp fuse. And never had an issue period and now im runnin square baja lights cause the old plastic housing on one of the old ones broke. Bought a pair of baja lights for 50 bucks works awesome. No need for signal lights on the plow since turn signal lights can be seen on the avy since there above the headlights.

14. Mr Lay

Mr Lay Junior Member

This is something i am looking to do. Can you post a few pictures of what you have done?

15. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

Yes sure i will post them tomorrow no doubt

16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I have the old style lights from Meyer,Truck light I guess who made them.

Anyway, I have a 2 way toggle switch and the lights wired up to the battery. Left is high beam, right is low beam, center is off, the wires are an original wiring harness for fog lights.

Not had any problems, the switch is in the dash to were it will not get hit by acedent. My truck has Day Time Running Lights, I have no idea how to turn them off so I just turn on the park lights so I have markers and tail lights.

on my Waggoneer I had them wired up to the head lights, but the switch would get warm LOL..

Yes, I have an inline fuse....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011