1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you explain

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by truplow, Oct 5, 2010.

1. truplow

truplow Junior Member
    from Ohio

Okay I am new to this. We have plowed for other companies before but they never shared on how they would price things can someone please break this down for me..

What does it mean per push?

What is a trigger?

Seasonal pricing..is that like per hour/per inch/ what is it....

If I promise not to steal your exact ideas can someone show me like an example of a bid?

:p Behind every successful man is their wife in the office <3
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

because im bored....

per push means.....wait for it.......per plow. as in, you charge them 'per plow'

trigger means thats when you start. a 2" trigger means you better have your ace on that lot when theres 2" of snow.

seasonal pricing is what it would cost to plow the lot, multiplied by your average number of snowfalls.

and no.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was too. I had a few minutes till I went for the paper this morning, so found something that wouldn't take much time or thought. I try to keep in mind that, although we answer the same questions a couple (hundred) times a year, to him this new stuff. He just registered and this was his first post.

But it does make me wonder if somebody's registering under a new name and trying to be funny.

Anyway truplow, there is a lot of stuff to be learned by using the "SEARCH" feature.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Alright man...

Trigger: A measurement of accumulated snow on premises at which to begin servicing it...determined by either Contractor, or Client.

Per Push: Fixed rates for each time the lot is serviced...can be setup on a scale like 2-4, 4.1-6, etc, but should be serviced each time it's trigger is reached. For instance..if there is a two inch trigger..lot gets serviced each time there is an accumulation of 2". Client is billed out each time property is serviced.

Seasonal: A Fixed rate for servicing the property throughout the entire snow season, or starting and ending on certain dates. Usually a cap on snowfall, and is defined so the contractor will not be screwed when there is a higher than average snowfall year. Salt is usually included in these contracts but can be billed as per occurrence depending on contract. Client usually pays in monthly installments.

Per Event: Fixed rates based on total accumulated snowfall for a snow event. Set on a scale, with trigger...example: 2-4,4.1-6,6.1-8,8.1-10,10.1-12 and per inch over twelve. For instance if you get 6 inches overnight before the facility opens, with a 2 inch trigger...you could plow that place just once, and get it done before they open and bill out like you pushed the place 3 times due to the 2" trigger.....but if you get 6 inches during there open hours...you would have to abide by the 2"trigger and would have pushed the place 3 times. Client is billed based on total snowfall accumulation. Salt is usually an extra cost.

Hourly: Hourly rates based on equipment, manpower, etc. Client is billed out on a time and materials basis.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the "search" function is such a highly overlooked option....lmao
    if you read some of the other posts....the questions have been answered ALOT of times

I only do per push plowing and with a 2" amount of snow on their property (trigger)
  7. truplow

truplow Junior Member
    from Ohio

thank you

Im a woman :) thanks though for all the help
  8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i had a customer one time for a fairly good sized commericial lot ask me how many pushes it would take for his lot....i asked him what did you mean.. he said you gave me a quote per oush so i figured it would take you at least 50 -60 pushes to clear my lot.....i calmly put him on hold...damn near peed myself from laughing, composed myself and told him what per push was... now i use per visit
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

There is a Book By John Allin.....Managing Snow and Ice...This would be a good jumping off point for you...It can be purchased through Snow magazine online web site...Also keep reading on here..There is some good info and most of the people on here are pretty good...Although there are a few Boneheads lurking around...:drinkup: