1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you ever have too much traction?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TatraFan, Nov 8, 2011.

1. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

So what sort of traction aids to you guys us on your trucks: chains, weight, driver selectable locking differentials, automatic locking differentials, or some combination of all?

For me the answer is simple: selectable air-locking differentials and chains when necessary. The air lockers give you the flexibility to lock and unlock the differentials when necessary. So you don't suffer any undue stress on the drive train on hard surfaces. The chains supplement the traction of the tires in certain conditions. Plus I've used this setup so I trust them. I've found that when driving on or off road it is very important to trust your truck and its capabilities. I think the Tatra T 815 has a great setup- inter axle and axle differential locks basically lock up the entire drive train.

and sometimes you just need to use the full power option:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAC_jMMrlhs

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

bfg at tires. L/S in the rear. Weight in the back. Have not gotten stuck yet :D

3. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

That's a good combination-- what is the front differential on your truck? Open?

4. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Truck 1 ARBs, COUNTER weight and Blizzak tires
    Truck 2 COUNTER weight, Blizzak tires

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another thread about that Tatra. Awesome.....

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

HeeHee......:laughing:

8. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

It is awesome... However, this is just thread about your favorite traction aid. And I'm going with the Rudd chains...

9. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Truck 1: with the ARB's are nice. They work well from what I understand. I dont' have any experience with them. So what sort of truck is truck one?

Truck 2; Why no lockers in it?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So which is it?

11. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Simple: 1) "It is awesome"; referred to the general nature of the Tatra truck concept.
    2) "However, this is just thread about your favorite traction aid"; basically was
    just countering your sarcasm about the thread being about the T-815 again.
    3) "For me the answer is simple: selectable air-locking differentials and chains when
    necessary..." Well it is simple the truck comes with air-lockers so chains are all
    you can add to the truck for extra traction. However, if I were not to have
    air-lockers in my differentials I would add them.
    4) "And I'm going with the Rud Chains"; well, that is just the traction I'm adding to my
    truck.

So the answer is basically I picked a vehicle with built in Air-Lockers so my only addition could be chains-- so I picked out the Rud system since they are reported to be of extreme capabilities and quality.

12. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

So at this point I think the commercial snow removal section can be shut down because just about everything that has to do with snow removal has been mentioned and the people who have been around here forever get annoyed when it gets brought up again.. :laughing:

I on the other hand think the forum is better when there are more posts going on regardless if they have been mentioned before.

I just like the combination of a locking rear axle with weight in the rear and studded snow tires with 4wd.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tires impact traction...

14. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

That is very true... However, tread pattern and selection can often be limited sometimes depending on the rim and rolling diameter of your standard tire.

Another plus with tire traction CTIS.... Cannot go wrong with a little lower pressure sometimes in a tire when operating in soft, snowy, or icy conditions. I've found CTIS to be rather a nice feature to have on a truck. It is not the end all be all but when you couple it with lockers in your differentials-- it is nice feature to have. But I didn't mention it since most road trucks do not come with it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Actually, I was just curious to see what people thought was necessary in their trucks for added traction. It was nothing more than small talk about trucks.

Are you using mechanical or selectable locker in your differentials?

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Haha I wasnt referring to you. I said I like having threads like this, I can never read and have too much knowledge and who doesnt like small talk about trucks. :nod:

I have a mechanical locker in the rear but I love the idea of the selectable one like in the 2011 and up superduties, Wish i had it in my truck

I was referring to the people who always bash other people for bringing up topics that have already been talked about, but either way I was just poking fun because I have learned a LOT of stuff from those very people

17. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

What about an Eaton after market E-Locker for your axle? That is if you have the correct axle for it. Other wise you could try out an ARB Air Locker in rear. I would put two in myself. Who knows you might have scenario some day where only your front wheels are on the ground.