1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you believe this???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mattyd, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

Does anyone have any links to find out how much snow fell in previous snow events. We are getting challenged for two of our events in January. I would like credible websites also. This guy (who owns 3 of our commercial accounts) informed us that he called up UCONN and got official totals from them and said the snow was "not significant." We beg to differ, obviously. I am so fired up right now so quick responses would be great, in the meanwhile, I am going to search myself.
  2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I would call UCONN and ask them exactly where they take thier measurments for their totals. Here their offical totals are taken at the Columbia airport which is 7 miles from the city. We all know how much differance you can get in 7 miles.
  3. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

That's a good call. Didn't even think of that......just thought of finding numbers right now so I can put my head on my pillow at ease tonight.....I will def. do that, but if someone has a website i would greatly appreciate it. I have been searching and searching, and did a search on here too, but the links aren't really helping too much.
  4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

contact the local tv station

law firms can call up this information for trafic accidents, insurance claims etc. my wife worked for a law firm and they would call up information from the local weather bureau, local paper,and tv.But the customer tends to miss the big picture. If you let the 3-6 sit then another 3-6 etc. you are paid to clear the area to keep it open for business or whatever, not to let the snow melt or form a glacier. I have one customer pulling the same crap. she said and I quote "my toyota camry made it through. I don't understand why you think I will pay you $40 to plow my driveway. this customer will not be on my route for next season. if they question every move then you are going to need their cell number so you can reach them at 2:30 a.m. to know if you need to plow or not.
  5. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

I hear ya i agree. This was the first time I ever heard of this kind of gargabe going on, and after doing a search on here for snowfall totals, I found out that it happens frequently. PEOPLE ARE SO CHEAP. You own 3 commercial buildings, it snows, customers go in and out, the lots are spotless...PAY UP.
  6. DieselRules

DieselRules Junior Member

I agree it is a difficult situation. If you live in a town that has an airport that would be great cause they publish snowfall totals. In my situation the local papers don't list the totals for each town, and the snow can vary so much it just isn't accurate enough. I think some state DOTs give totals by town, however I can't seem to find that in my state.

My favorite is when we get say 2" and I call up my customers and ask if they want me to plow and I get two different answers. The first being: "Yeah of course I want you to plow." The second being: "It's only 2 inches why would I want you to plow." I feel like telling them I don't know but I'll give you the number of my other customers who say the opposite and you can fight over it.
  7. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

Heres what kills me though.....he could tell the lots were done when they were done, for a jan 6th or so storm, and a january 17 or so storm....he didnt say anything then, but once the bill came, it's a different story. I help a buddy out plowing, I don't even have to deal with the real deal. I think i may be more fired up than he is because I am the one who plows these lots.
  8. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

when we have a customer tell us that a news station or other organization said we got less than we billed them for we simply tell them that we have our own highly accurate way of measuring snowfall. when they ask what it is we tell them how we carry yardsticks in our vehicles to measure the snow. an on property measurement is always more accurate than what the news stations say. in fact the stations in my area have been low-balling at least 2 inches per storm and up to 4-6 some of the big ones. so just measure it once in awhile throughout the storm and keep track. then when they ask you can tell them exactly how much snow landed.
  9. empire

empire Member

snow fall

I know how you feel.You have to be trusted because snow can drift and I know snow fall totals varry 3-4 inches in the state of CT. from the shore to mass. and east to west.I only get complaints when the bill is due.Tell your boy to get his money now! soon they wont need us springs coming and nows when the screwn starts. payup
  10. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

Urgent - Winter Weather Message
    National Weather Service Upton Ny
    341 Am Est Thu Feb 24 2005

...more Winter Weather On The Way For The Tri-state Area...

.low Pressure Will Develop Off The Carolina Coast Today. It Will
    Rapidly Move Northeastward Tonight While Strengthening. By The Early
    Morning Hours Friday...the Low Will Be Positioned Well East Southeast
    Of Nantucket. The Gale Will Then Move Into The Canadian Maritimes
    Friday Night.

Nassau Ny-southern Fairfield Ct-southern New Haven Ct-
    341 Am Est Thu Feb 24 2005

...the National Weather Service In Upton Ny Has Issued A Winter Storm
    Warning That Is In Effect For Late This Afternoon Through Tonight...

Low Pressure Will Develop Near Cape Hatteras North Carolina Today And
    Move Quickly Northeastward Tonight. Snow Will Spread Across The
    Region From Southwest To Northeast By Mid To Late Afternoon And
    Become Heavy At Times This Evening Until Shortly After Midnight.
    Conditions Will Likely Deteriorate Rapidly As The Evening Rush Hour
    Progresses Today. The Snow Will Then Taper Off During The Wee Hours
    Of The Morning Before Ending Around Sunrise Friday.

Storm Total Snow Accumulations By The Time All Is Said And Done Early
    Friday Morning Will Range From 5 To 7 Inches. In Addition...winds
    Will Increase Tonight And Perhaps Gust To Around 25 Mph. This Will
    Cause Wind Chill Values To Drop Into The Single Digits And Teens
    Tonight. The Snow Will Be Fluffy In Nature...so Some Blowing And
    Drifting Is Likely As Well.

A Winter Storm Warning Is Issued When Severe Winter Weather Is
    Expected To Occur. Heavy Snow And Or Ice Are Forecast To Accumulate
    In The Affected Areas Causing Hazardous Driving Conditions. Those
    With Travel Plans In The Warning Area Are Advised To Choose An
    Alternate Route...or Should Use Extreme Caution If Travel Is

Conditions Can Deteriorate Rapidly In Winter Weather Situations...
    Slow Down And Allow Extra Time When Traveling. Practice Your Winter
    Safety Rules...keep An Extra Flashlight...food And Water In Your Car
    In Case Of Emergency.

Stay Tuned To Noaa All Hazards Radio Or Visit Our Web Site At
    Weather.gov/okx For Further Details Or Updates.
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

snow fall totals

The snow is measured at a few airports. Not all airports. Snow falls can vary from area to area. In our area we have CLE. YNG and CAK. With lake effect snows you can have 0 inch of snow at your shop and 12 miles east you can have 6 inches. There is no airport that records snow depth between them and in our area, so no "official snow depth record". We have had this happen before.

I agree that the customer that does not want to pay the bill will use the reason "there was not enough snow to plow" to try and cheat you. What about sublimation? You get there at 6am there is 2 inches of snow, contract is for 2' and over so you plow. At 12 noon customer goes to the lot, there is 1.5 " of snow covering area the half inch was evaporated by sun or it was melted by the heat in the ground. You had 2 inches you did your job he comes hours later and does not see that snow you saw.

I feel you have to build up a trust with the customer. If the customer will allow you to do this the worked goes much better. If the customer does not allow this trust to happen... find a new customer, let him give drama to some other snow removal contractor.

12. bulldogg01

bulldogg01 Junior Member

the highway dept. takes measurments for all storms if you can get ahold of someone there i am sure they can tell you local snowfall measurements.
  13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Take your yardstick and your digital camera, stick the yardstick in the snow, take a picture of it, print it out and enclose it with your bill. Then charge them an extra $20 for having to defend yourself. That's the only way to stop this kind of crap once and for all.
  14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'v even thought of printing out the latest forcast before you head out, and send that with their bill. This is assuming that you log your time and conditions on your bill. This would be especially helpful for salt only circumstances. I'v not had a problem with any crybabies about their bill, however it could happen at any time. CYA!!!!
  15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Hope this helps!
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

check noaa.com
  17. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

Thanks guys, that DOT site was the best one....I can't wait for tonight.......I am keeping such good track of everything.... the time down to the second, the amount down to the centimeter, and a picture with the camera phone with a particular finger raised in the background.