1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can we have a snowblower thread?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sixty4, Feb 4, 2014.

1. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Ok, Looks like it been awhile. I am in need of a 36" Two Stage unit, something for walkways etc. Noticed CC makes a 3 stage now (honestly don't know a lot about these). Thoughts opinions what is best for small commercial accounts, easy transport and will cut through the heavy wet stuff? Thumbs Up

2. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I have never heard of a 3 stage snow thrower until your post, so I pulled up Cub Cadet's website and took a look. I kinda think it's a marketing gimmick. I really haven't been a fan of CC once MTD bought them a number of years ago. I would take a good look at the Simplicity throwers for a true commercial machine. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/snow-blowers/signature-pro-professional-duty

3. PLandscaping

PLandscaping Junior Member

Definitely get a simplicity. Cub Cadet makes okay stuff, but you're going to have more issues with it than something with more quality. I have a 30 inch, I think 11 HP, heated handles (so awesome) and it's a beast. 5th gear cooks and throws slush like its powder.

4. Unraveller

Unraveller Member

A snowblower Thread?

Buy a Toro 721, put KAGE paddles on it.

thread over.

5. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have four Cub cadet snowblowers. One of the 3 stage 36 inch. Ots awesome. Slush throwing machine. Cub has a three warranty if you just run it in a personal name. I like them very well. Traded out of my toros. As always its all about the dealer. Not some big box store, a real Dealer. Also my Dealer is a Toro dealer also and he suggested the Cub. They are cheaper then toro and better warranty and lights.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes they should have a snow blower thread. Many people are out there running a business using snow blowers.

I am at the point where I have out grown my 24" Troy-Bilt and 28" Sears.

For me I do not think a machine less then 36" would increase my production enough.

I like the Ariens 36". Though would it be large enough to make that much difference. Though better quality then a Cub Cadet. Though Cub has a 45" machine.

Does anyone know of any other large size machines on the market?

As to the new 3rd stage blowers how well are they at moving slush?

The belt on my 1996 Troy-Bilt burnt up this Wednesday. Because the machine got bound up on thick slush. Not complaining because the machine is 18 years old and they where the original belts. I also decided to change the clutch disc as well. Of course due to the age parts are not in stock and are on order. Hope no big snows for the next week.

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Anyone running a 36" Ariens or a 45" Cub Cadet?

Reviews?

8. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I ran a cub 45 for about a week, I found the extra weight and width for transporting and working with was a real PIA, not to mention the added work required to manoeuvre it. Have 2- 32" blowers and love them. It all depends on your setup and needs though

9. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I meant to say Snow Blower Section.

10. Unraveller

Unraveller Member

This idea I support.

11. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

X3 snowblower thread

12. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

13. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

just got an ariens professional 28"...lots of power and easy to maneuver...got a receiver carrier so easy to move around

15. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I run 1332 Ariens which are the same series as the 36".Could not justify the extra money for 4" which is why I went with the 32".The 1332 and 1336 are differnt altogether than the other Ariens models---trust me when I say this.The 32 and 36 blowers are the commercial ones which are heavier.I have posted on here before that I run a snowblower operation of close to 65 residentials of which roughly 50 are in the same development.I run 3 Ariens and a 933 cub cadet
    Here is my opinion on both.Cubs plastic chute sucks compared to the steel Ariens.The cub has a 2" bigger impeller which really blows the snow.I have 2007 models which are the last of the 13 HP tecumseh engines.The 1332 Ariens chute control outperforms the cub by about 25% in a side by side comparison.The easy turn on the cub is superior to the Ariens.Trust me on this and you will agree after doing 30 driveways or so.IMO stay away from those 12 volt motor driven chutes -----junk and more problems.Also the chute cables constantly freeze up on the Ariens.

IMO if you could combine the easy-turn of the cub with the metal chute and speed of the chute of the Ariens,that would be the machine I would be buying.

I would like to try a simplicity but that is just more to learn and more parts to have.

Also you did not hear this from me but 2" grade 2 bolts along with locknuts are far cheaper to use and shear properly than the $2 a piece shear pins.Approx 2,000 plus driveways says so.

16. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Here is my opinion on both.Cubs plastic chute sucks compared to the steel Ariens.

I like things made of metal better then plastic. Though why do you say the Cubs chute is worse. Is it it's function or material?

The cub has a 2" bigger impeller which really blows the snow.

So the Cub shoots snow farther?

The 1332 Ariens chute control outperforms the cub by about 25% in a side by side comparison.The easy turn on the cub is superior to the Ariens.Trust me on this and you will agree after doing 30 driveways or so.IMO stay away from those 12 volt motor driven chutes -----junk and more problems.Also the chute cables constantly freeze up on the Ariens.

Turning the chute on my troy bilt that uses a multi piece rod with universal joints works so much easier then my sears chute that has a straight rod.

Also you did not hear this from me but 2" grade 2 bolts along with locknuts are far cheaper to use and shear properly than the $2 a piece shear pins.Approx 2,000 plus driveways says so.

Good tip.

17. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

From my experience with the plastic chute of the cub---There are plastic tabs that the chute rides on.In hard icy snow it causes the the chute to flex putting stress on the tabs and they break----blower is down.

On the bigger impeller,it does not really shoot snow farther but it will eat up the piles at the end of the driveway quicker.

Changing direction of the chute on the Ariens is almost instantaneous compared to the cub cranking a handle.

Oh and the shear pins are 1/4-20x2".You need the locknuts or they may vibrate off.A 7/16 wrench on the head of the bolt and a 7/16 nutdriver for the nut and you can spin it right on.The Ariens shear pins are 5/16 with a groove cut in them to weaken them so they break but one time it did not shear and the brass pin in the front gearbox did.

18. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

throw my 2 cents in. At first I didn't think a plastic chute would hold up but after 4 years, they have held up just as well as any metal one. Broken tabs off both metal and plastic and if I had to guess at it, it is because of how the units ride in the trucks that they get broken. Pile a couple snow shovels on top and they get caught on the chutes and guys wedge/force them off. The big difference to us is the noise factor. If you are blowing ice chunks, the ice hitting the plastic is loud whereas you rarely hear the snow in the metal blower. As far as them clogging up with wet snow, it happens with both chutes, but sometimes I think it really has something to do with horsepower and operator error/skill. Some guys never have a problem and then guys like me have nothing but problems. When I run blowers I like the fastest speed and greatest width, the other guys run slower and only do a couple inches at a time. Chute direction controls defy a solution, hand turning, spoke and hole, cables all have shortcomings. The older type Ariens never had a problem with cables, the newer ones, once it drops below 32 they freeze. Shear bolts, have tried everything (you really get desperate at 2AM and no shear bolts left and 60 drives to go) All I can say is that if someone gets hurt and they discover that you have something other than a manufacturers shear bolt, you have no insurance.

19. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Well it is my son and I so I do not think I will bring any lawsuit on myself.Also Ariens shear bolts are a grade 5 bolt 5/16" dia with a groove in them to probably bring them down to 1/4" or slightly more in dia.I use grade 2--1/4" dia which at times shears to easily.
    I have never had a sticking issue with either plastic or metal chutes.Both clog just as easily with heavy wet snow.

20. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Its funny I ran across this thread. I have a question for you guys that know these machines well. I do several banks, some small restaurant chains, etc and was thinking about getting on here and asking if there is a such animal out there that is light enough to throw over the truck bed side??? I don't mind it being small as I do not do a ton of walks but shoveling kicks my ass to be honest. I have tail gate salters on so it would have to be something small, light, and easy to put into the back of a truck. Is there a such animal?????