1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can use some advice on quick couplers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by plowzilla, Nov 23, 2010.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Hey Guys, Can anyone help me out with my skid steer quick couplers. When I switch from my bucket to the plow, I have the hardest time getting the couplers attached. Seems to be alot of pressure in the line. I have tried to push the floor pedal to get some relief but nothing happened. Does anyone have a tip on these or know where I could get some kind of attachment to relieve the pressure? Thank you in advance.

2. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Depending on brands some have a relief button you hold down to relieve the pressure, others you push the the couplers in before unhooking and hold which releases the pressure, always leave your plow in the center never against one side or the other this will help, as a last resort keep a couple wrenches in the cab and loosen the couplers from the line to relieve the pressure kinda messy but will get you goin. Check with your skid dealer to see if they have tips.

3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Good tips from Snowlord, and make sure to connect the two couplers together after each use on the plow side. It has something to do with pressure change due to temperature drops. IIRC, JD Dave suggested doing so last year, and we've had better luck since.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

the pressure isn't in the skid, it's in the plow.
    as the heat (sun) comes and goes the pressure builds up
    push down (or use a tool) to release some pressure from the plow side.
    (push it against something hard, it's going to squirt hydraulic oil, so wear a glove)
    then it works great.

5. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Try shutting down the machine, then turn the key back to the on position without starting it, and then rock the pedal. There may be a safety that prevents pressure release with the key off.
    You may want to do the same B4 you disconnect an implement as well, to release any pressure in the implement.

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

They make a different style couple you could use that is easier to connect. Check with your hose and coupler outfitter and see if they have them. I found them local at Hyquip in Milwaukee.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Exactly what I was going to say :mechanic:

8. schmol

schmol Senior Member

The pressure issue is usually in the attatchment as stated earlier, purging a little of the oil from the hyd line on the attachment always works for me if i can't wrestle it on in a couple tries.

9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I can only speak for Bobcat, but the proper procedure is... with the machine running, press and hold the pressure release button and the machine will shutdown and de-pressurize the circuit.

It should be a piece of cake to get the connector on then.

10. TTown

TTown Junior Member

Hello, perhaps this tool would work. It's adjustable and provides assistance for couplers. I keep one in the skids and has proven to be indispensable for me. Hope this helps.

P1010021.JPG

P1010022.JPG

11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Now that is genious

12. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Love the Willy Wonka hose connector - Brilliant

13. TTown

TTown Junior Member

Thank you, hope it helps someone out.

14. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

You don't mention what type of machine you have but this trick works on myJD skids and New Holland Skids.
    key on seatbelt buckled (if required) once pedals move on skid then you have to move the handles that would angle the plow. move those handles in both directions before you take off an attachemnt and before you try hooking one up. Do not start the machine while doing this.If the attachment is moved while off the machine you may have to relesae the pressure by pressing the face against a solid surface, just be sure not to damage them and watch where it squirts.
    I have to do this with my Cat backhoe when I hook up the plow to that also.