1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can u plow this for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRIMOW525, Dec 7, 2002.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

2 days after the storm... "Can u plow out my lot?" 4" of packed ice. Of course they want it to the pavement. I couldn't do it. I just laughed at them. Too cheap to hire a contractor to do it. "My customers can't get in my parking lot" So sad too bad!

dsc_265.jpg

2. Sno

Sno Senior Member

And thats just exactly what they get!

I would have passed too.... First thing they would say to the customers is "Jackson lawn service plows our lot."

Might have dumped a ton of salt on it for them though.

On about the same note.

I was driving by a customer of last year that stiffed me 345.00. told her last year I could not plow her lot anymore. She never paid till another big storm was comming.. Ya just knew all year she was going to stiff me on the last invoice... And she did.

She must have chose not to have her lot plowed this last 3" we got. Hers is the ONLY place in town that isnt shinny black top. A week after the storm she still has 2" of compacted snow and ice over 100% of the lot. Frozen tire treads all over the lot all the way to the door.

And her only customers are the elderly!

I just shake my head... Some people just should not be in business.

I'm sure they had a snow shovel around there some where.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Brimow,

Dont know how big that lot is.... But I woulda said SURE, I can do it !

Then laid one a heavy load of Rock Salt or Magic Salt , charged him handsomely for the salt application, waited a bit for it to loosen it up and just charged him by the $175.00 - $200.00 an hour for the truck to scrape it. Or brought in a loader to break up the ice. Either way, he woulda paid the price.

Might have taught him a lesson to hire a contractor before the first storm.

4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Good point Jeff..

Good after the storm money.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

flood the lot with salt then charge them plenty for it.

6. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I'd do what everyone else said:D

Salt the heck out of it wait till it loosened up then scrape it off and charge them a Hefty fee to do it.

Dan

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Yeah, what they all said.

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I agree!

9. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I'll second the motion....

No snow here, need some help?

I have a kerosene heater and some tarps.

A thermose full of coffee and a cooler full of beer.

Some spade shovels and an ice pic.

:drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Sno,
    I have the same story from one of the banks I did last year. They still owe me money from that one last year, didn't renew me this year, and apparently didn't replace me either. I drove by it at 4:00 PM Friday which was just about 24 hours after the 7inches of accumulating snow had stopped here. Someone had shoveled the landing at the top of the rear entrance, but that's it. 2"-4" of ice pack in all of the laneways from the cars that pulled in & out, cars sliding & peeling out all over the place trying to park, and people slipping & sliding trying to walk in & out. 15 cars lined up in the drive through & many people parked on the road & walked in instead of trying to manage the parking lot. Friday being pay day for many, and lots of people weren't out the day before because of the snow, so this place was real busy. Real shame, and I felt bad for the customers I did see. Oh well. It was rush hour & I was too tired to go check how the other ones I had done the last 2 years looked to compare.

11. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i love these types of people. i did one of these last season. they called me up about plowing the driveway 3 days after it snowed. so i go by the house, and the circular driveway and parking area are covered by 2" of ice. i put down a really heavy coat of salt, disapeard to lunch for 2 hours, came back and scraped it clean. i think i charged them $400 between salt and plowing. cost them 4 times as much, than just to plow normally.
    some people just dont get it

12. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i agree i would salt and all that good stuff till its gone the charge them real high for it. when they are desparate they will do what they have to. what i would have done is put down tons of salt then on top some sand/salt mix to make it look even better. or charge a high hourly rate to scrape it.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

BRL that bank must have a good insurence policy.Wounder when some one will fall and want to sue them?And about them not paying see if you did not pay a loan you had with them would they be calling you every day looking for the money or just send you a legal notice .

14. Aldergood

Aldergood Junior Member

I would go and buy a load of one of the really expensive "environmentally friendly" ice melters and used it liberally that way you can tell them that you can't just use regular salt because of the amount needed to fix that mess would be excessive and would be extremely hard on the environment. Might teach them a lesson . You just know that the amount of salt that would be needed to fix that would be really hard on whatever it was dumped on after you scrapped the lot. Either way you make the money and they get the lesson.

15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

16. a palustris

a palustris Member

I too would have dropped an A$$ load of salt on the lot and come back. However I would have signed a contract before hand stating that I am not responsible for any slip and falls that may or may not occur because of the condition of the lot. I also probably would have made them close the place off for a few hours after I dropped the salt, until I could come back and bust it all up.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What did you end up doing?

I would have probably done it, dumped lots of salt on it in the morning of a should-be sunny day, then came and scraped in the afternoon, and would have charged a hefty amount, and tried to get them into a contract, just my $0.02

18. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

oh I told them I could salt it for $150. "Thats not in the budget" So sad too bad. Its not a big parking lot at all. But I don't even want to try for a contract because its clear that they don't want to spend money on anything. Oh but they are building a new office else where. Let them worry about it. Ya can't please 'em all.

19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I had the excat same situation and a 50 unit motel. About an acre of lot. Told them $90 if I do it every 3" BUT I would not touch it till I cleaned the lot up with the skid steer for $125 an hour.

Haven't heard back from them.

Howard

(4 weeks later their lot still looks like that photo)

20. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

BRIMOW525

It's so true you can't please everyone & some you don't even want to try, as in this case.;)