1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can truck color be a safety consideration?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We have one truck which is white and we'll probably never own another one. At night it's not a big deal, but during the day we've found that a white truck in a snowstorm gets awful close to invisible. And it's not just to John Q. Dweeb, but to our other trucks if we're running two in the same lot.

We've got a couple places where we'll have one truck windrowing down the long way of the lot and put another truck in there punching the windrow off the side. Sounds kinda clumsy but it works, particularly with a vee plow doing the cross pushes.

At night it's no big deal to keep track of where the other truck is, regardless of which one you're in. But in the daytime, with snow coming down, and the strobe the only thing really showing up, it gets hard to keep track of the expensive white thing in all other white stuff. So far we've never had any close calls but the pucker factor sure goes up when the "White Whale" is working the same lot you are.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, what your saying makes total sense. There is a reason why town and state trucks are orange or that neon yellow/green, and you just said it. Just like bulldozers are ALWAYS yellow, maybe different shades of yellow, or rust :D , but always yellow. Mike

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd have to agree with you. My town highway trucks are in orange color and my county highway trucks are in yellow color. DOT have a mix of orange/yellow. They wear orange shirts most of time so that is part of the safety issue. It could be a problem if your truck is white and you get alot of snow. When that happens, often there will be big piles of snow at the corner so high that if you have to pull out of the corner or driveway, you would have your tail end peeping out, hoping that no one is coming and continue to peeping out until you finally pull out or worse, get hit by someone. I'd try to get the lighting system that will help alert other drivers. Having a hide-a-flash strobes at the corner turn signal lamps would be a big help.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan, cheap easy solution to your problem.

For around 200 bucks at least thats what it cost here. You can go to your local lettering shop, and have them stripe your truck with reflective striping. It is avaible in whatever color you want, so just run a 3" stripe around both sides and the rear, problem solved.

Geoff

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

State trucks in CT are orange. Most towns run red or green. I do not understand the green trucks at all. Regardless all trucks have lots of stripping on them.

I have blue trucks which can be seen day or night. My Toyota is silver which was hard to see until I replaced the bed with a black body. Alan you are correct that visibility is more difficult during the day.

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Most of our trucks are red and they have the DOT reflective tape on them.

All the equipment has either strobes or rotators on the roof.

We have one city that runs white trucks and I agree the visibility is not the greatest.

I remember in an old thread reading about a guy having hot pink trucks :eek: Can't miss him. LOL

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I'm not in a position to comment about white trucks, except to say that I recall a study somewhere that said with reference to staying out of accidents, white is one of the best colors as far as visibility goes. I'm pretty sure they were looking at weather *other* than snowstorms though.

As far as Alan's comment ,"we'll have one truck windrowing down the long way of the lot and put another truck in there punching the windrow off the side. Sounds kinda clumsy but it works..."

I've actually pulled over and parked my truck until my fellow driver came over to ask what the problem was. I explained that if we were going to be in the same lot, we were going to be going in the *same* direction, or at the very least, parallel. It had gotten to be looking too much like a ballet dance, but we hadn't coordinated anything beforehand, and everytime I tried to change direction to stay parallel, it seemed *he'd* change direction to be crossing behind me while I was backing up. :realmad:

Once we'd agreed that we were both going north/south, life was so much easier.

I'm gonna give some consideration to the reflective tape idea though....

8. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We'll use a similar technique for plowing larger lots with heavy snow Alan... it works when you have to move snow. I don't think it's very clumbsy - it just takes two guys who can choreograph their moves. Put the more experienced guy on the bucking since he'll stay out of the way of the guy making long runs and he can jump around as needed to move snow as it builds up.

When it's a little lighter and we have the two trucks in the lot we might run one truck on the snow side of the windrow to move bulk and let one guy clean up the lot as he pushes the long direction.

Other than bucking the windrows perpindicular to the long direction or cutting behind the windrows running parrellel... how esle would one move the snow across the lot with plows only?