1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can this truck plow or not?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RYDER, Sep 4, 2007.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I am looking for a small dump truck and I found one that I am looking at. IT is a superduty I think it is a 1ton, But it is only 2wd not 4wd. It does have duallies. Would this truck plow ok or should I keep looking for one that has 4wd?:yow!:

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

4x4

keep looking for a 4x4,the 2wd is too weak in the front end to hold a plow up and clear the ground when angled because you need at least 8 1/2 to clear the duals when angled.make sure the gross front Axel capicity is heavy enough for the plow. with a 4x4 you can usually beef it up easily enough.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i plowed for years with a 2wd dump and i am currently in the process of getting a plow for my 2wd dump. the trick is to keep weight n the bed and start out slow so you dont spinn the tires and dont stop when you have a load on the plow.

4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What's the phrase.... penny wise, pound stupid? IMO, you're looking for trouble from the start by trying to use a 2wd truck. Buy a 4wd, fill the bed with sand & plow in 2wd all the time if you can do it, but the 1 time you're stranded (and it will happen sooner than later), you'll regret not shelling out a little more for the right truck to do the job. Good luck!

~Kevin

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i forgot to ad that i wont use a 2wd as my only truck i have 2 4x4's out already and im adding the dump this year for a few commercial lots ive picked up.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This question has been beat to death!

I have a 2003 GMC 3500 with a 9' flat deck and 2 cubic yard salter. This truck has a 9'6" Fisher V plow. Also 1999 3500HD with a 11' dump box and 4.4 cubic yard salter(way too big). This truck has a 9' Western. Both trucks are 2wd.

They plow schools. Both have plowed large storms without any problems. Most of our snowfalls are under 4".

If you only have 1 truck then I would not suggest a 2wd but if the truck will be running tandem with others then I would not hesitate to plow with a 2wd. One thing to remember is not to hammer into a snowbank. It is a lot easier to get hung up and a lot of weight to get unstuck.

For the guys that plow in areas with 3" triggers and love to see the 12" snowfalls, I would never get 2wd but for many areas with 20 plowing events and 18 of those under 3" then go for it.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

In the majority of our area you'll be fine as long as you use your head. Load it up with a couple tons of ballast--at least--and you'll be just fine. Not to say you won't ever get stuck, but everyone get's stuck with 4WD once or twice too.

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

you will do just fine. 2wd or 4wd. we all get stuck. Just load it with ballast, and go like hell!!!

If ya get stuck, call me .
    I'll come pull ya out as soon as I get out my self :dizzy:

:rolleyes:

10. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

PLOW or NOT? I think its Time for the Basics of PLOWING! WE all hear the Data on Plowing-but-never any Data on the Basics? YES! a 2 WD One Ton can Plow Snow! BALAST is the Main Issue! Lots of WEIGHT means More Traction! getting STUCK--WE All Get STUCK--as thats Part of the PLowing Business! Plain & Simple!--Balast is More Important than Power or Tires--remember when your plowing your tires are On freshly Plowed Ground--so Ballast--WEIGHT is the KEY to Plowing--lots of WEIGHT Lots of TRACTION pretty Simple Really!! I suggest Plowing at a Slow Rate One your Comforatble With! & Don*t Hurry! most Plowers Biggest Mistake!--Do a Good JOB--& Don*t Hurry to get to the next One!--as your Next Customer They will Wait! & You won*t have to Go Back & clean UP a Mess You left at the Last One! Take Pride in what Your Plowing -Do the GOOD JOB & Your Phone will Ring OFF the WALL! w/New Customers & NOT Complaints--& YOU won*t be Home waiting for Customers to Call YOU --as YOU will Be Out There Plowing! & Adding New Customers as Your REP grows that YOU DO a Good JOB--& If? You only have ONE Truck! Find another GUY w/ only One Truck & Work Together so If You DO get STUCK? He can COME & Pull You OUT! & Viser Verser!--& neither of YOU are Alone any More! as HELPS just a Shout Away!-- I Hope this Data Helps?--OleTower--

11. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

if your going to keep in in a parking lot youll be fine,, you said your average snow fall is only about 4" thats great.i know back when i had my old ford dump with 2 yards of sand in the back i was set to go. as long as i didnt want to go up any steep drives or hills i was in business. just keep this truck as a sand/salter and lot plow truck. use you others trucks for everything else thats not the "perfect" spot. i know we would all love to have 4x4's but sometimes your able to get a great price and know you can make your money with a truck, if thats the case do it and enjoy it. if your not getting a steal keep your eyes open. sorry it went on for a while but just my thoughts. hope i helped a little.