1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can this be polished out?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by andcon83, Feb 14, 2010.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

This is a mark from a wheel wieght. I have some other marks on other wheels as well. Does anyone know if this is something that can be polished or something?

IMG_0269.jpg

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should just sell those rims to me for a hundred bucks.

3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

:laughing:So I guess they can be fixed...so how do I do it:confused:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know how to fix them, but they look good enough for me.

Friend of mine got new rims from the dealer under warranty. I'm sure one of the mechanics took the old ones for his truck.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

They probably use a media blaster to get the clear coat off, polish the messed up spots then re-clear them. Maybe ask around at local body shops???

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put the weights back on the same spot.

7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Is that all that is on them is clear coat?? Maybe I can do it myself then. I was just worried about polishing them and ruining them.

The way this winter is going 2cor, I will sell you the whole truck!!

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I saw the mechanic on wheeler dealer refinish a set of rims similar to that. Pretty simple to do. I bet if you go on there website you can find the episode when they did it. I am going to do it to my rims on my maxima.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You do realize I'm not interested in the plow......

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

They are talking snow for Tuesday. I love daytime storms.

10. funnyfarm77

funnyfarm77 Junior Member

Thats the problem with clear coated rims. You can have them refinished.... but its hard to find a place to do it. You can always sell them and go aftermarket..

11. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Your not interested :confused: Would you like to tell us why:laughing:

Is Tuesdays storm going to amount to anything?? I can wait untill Wed. morning to clean up my accounts.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard 3-6, 6-10. Accuweather says 7.3 over three days. News coming on soon.

13. RRobbe

RRobbe Member

Find a powder coater in your area they can blast them and powder caot them in clear better than new and fairly cheap.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a good powder coater at the airport in Auburn.....

15. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

It's a work truck don't worry about it

16. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Gotta take pride in your ride!!:cool:

17. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

My buddy has a 08 GMC and the clearcoat just started flaking off. O'connors Replaced the two and now the other two have like stress cracks Its all in the same area on the rims, Not where the wheel weights are there is the edge/bend to the face is where it is having the problem. His 03 Gmc had no problems. He was wondering too what he can do.

18. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Can't you get clear coat in a spray can? I wonder if you can touch up these spots?

19. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I think my buddy got some from Tractor Supply? I think there house brand is Valspar?

20. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

We just had a set of the factory alloys stripped and powdercoated black for a customer, had to paint center caps, i thought they looked pretty trick for the money. But thats one of those personal preference things as to liking black wheels,if you do it tho i like the matte finish and if you wanna really bling em up get some vein in the mix, but then you cant touch em up with flat black auto paint, just somethin to look into