1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can this be fixed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Nov 14, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I am pretty sure that it can. It was on the garage floor and I ran over the adapter that fits into the cigarette lighter. Can I just splice in any type adapter. I have one lying around from an old cell phone. Thanks.

strobelight0001.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't use the one from the cell phone. :nono: Take to an electronics store (radio shack) and have them match one up.

3. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

Yea, I just opened up the adapter for the cell phone and it looks like it has some type of computer board in it. Thanks, I didn't even think of Radio Shack.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

That looks like it is just a cigarette lighter plug. Your local Napa (or???) should have one. The only thing you need to do is make sure you get the wires on the same way as the original plug. The center point is hot the side is ground. Reverse polarity could (probably will) toast the electronics.

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Be careful about the neg/pos terminals on the 12v adapter. Easiest way to check is stick a voltmeter in your truck's adapter. And the cell phone thing will probably not work. They usually have some circuit in them that prevents overcharging or regulation of the amperage to the battery.

Have you though about hard wiring it to your truck? Just tap into the hot 12 volt wire and place a switch between the light and hot side. Mount the switch in your glovebox or the dash, etc.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah auto parts store should have that adapter

7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I'd say find out what you need, then go to Radio Shack and tell them what it is, letting them try to figure it out is a big mistake.. At least here in Anchorage it would be.. Had a Radio Shack in Fairbanks that was pretty decent.. Most of the guys there actually had a clue about something other than cellaphones..