1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SidelinePropMgr, Sep 11, 2006.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr Junior Member

Is it possible to plow with a 2 whell drive truck? what precautions must be taken and preparations made?

Have a 2 wheel drive dually, is it possible?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure, plenty of ballast, and chains for the icey condictions. If you pre-apply to prevent iceing your biggest problemm could be getting from place to place.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It is possible as long as you prepare the truck correctly(tires, ballast, chains in case of need/emergencey etc.) adn as long as you have the proper sites to plow. You don't want accounts that have a lot of hills or awkward inclines that would get you set up to slide or get stuck.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

it's possible but not worth the trouble.

i can't count how many times i have got my plow stuck in a snow bank.
    90% of the time putting my truck in 4wd will pull me out. the other 10% a few scoops with a shovel and im out. if i only had 2wd i would have to call my boss to come pull me out and waste a bunch of time.

when the ground freezes and there is ice under the snow... all trucks have trouble in these conditions. i wouldn't even want to think of the head ache i would get trying to plow in 2wd !

wet snow , i only run a f150 but my truck will just sit and spin the tires when the snow is heavy . put it in 4wd and i have no problems keeping up with the larger 3500's in 18 inches of wet snow.

i could go on and on ... you can plow with a 2wd truck.
    the question is ... is it worth all the trouble to plow with a 2wd truck?

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

oh no!!

nothing like a 4 wheel drive! Its hell with only 2 wheels , i promise ya you wont be happy!!

6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Yes, my first plow truck was a 1 ton dually 2 wheel drive with dump bed. It was all i had truck wise and i carried 1 and half skid of salt in the back for weight. I actually plowed the 96 blizzard and never got stuck. No chains either but had good tires. I plowed black top lots no back roads on hill sides though.
    Mike

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function up on the tool bar above the page.
    It's been addressed many times in the past.
    Pretty much everyone says the same thing. It can be done, BUT, it's not easy.
    Enough weight, chains, possi traction,great tires, stay away from grades/hills,high speed pushes-etc.

There is just too many times you need 4 wheel drive just to survive the battle.
    Off camber's, grades/hills, drifts and ice are just traps waiting to catch you up.