1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can the plow be left outside all winter?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by MaineMike, Oct 30, 2006.

1. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Might sound like a dumb question but I'm a newbie.

Does everyone store their Sno-Way plow indoors after use, or can they be left outside? I remember my gramps always left his plow outside all winter, in very cold temps, although it was a covered patio.

2. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

i dont have a sno-way plow but i put mine inside all year long. if it outside it could rust faster unless you cover it with a tarp but i have seen people keep them outside. i keep mine inside to keep it clean and dont have to hook it up outside in the cold.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i leave mine in tha back yard when not in use, havent had any problems

4. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

I wish I could keep mine inside, that would be a luxury. First year with a Sno-way and it's been outside since it's been at the dealer and now it's outside at my house. My previous plow was outside all the time and never had any problems with it.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Change the fluid regular, di-electric grease the electrical plugs and spray it down with fluid film. I mean spray everything (but the lexan if you have it) under the cover, all over the pump and manifold, angle cyd. shafts, black iron, spray it all, it (fluid film) works good for waterproofing your work boots too. Then leave if sit outside, in the shade preferably, the sun's hard on things.

6. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I live 350 miles from the factory and my Sno-Way sits outside in my driveway all year long when it is not on my truck traveling around the territory with me. I do not plow commercially like many of you but I have never had a problem with storing mine outside. Like Basher said, some simple preventative maintenance goes a long way.

7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I am one of the fortunate ones who is able to store them inside. I still use the p/m methods discussed above, when i set them in for the summer. Other than that, I have them inside unless in use.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Have BOSS, not Sno-Way but my stuff is all indoors. Will never put it outside. For the amount of $$$ equipment costs, definetaly inside.:)