1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can Someone with EFILive or Scanner Help me- LB7

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have white smoke, mostly at idle, I posted a thread about this a while back. I would like to check my balance rates so I can figure out how long I have. The smoke seems to be quite excessive at this point, and I'm wondering if I should wait until the end of winter to tackle it, which is what I was hoping to do.
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am in North Stonington CT, but would be willing to drive to meet somebody.
  3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Look on some of the diesel sites like dieselplace.com or duramaxdiesel.com for a used tuner, they also do basic diagnostics and balance rates. Should be able to pick one up for a couple hundred bucks if not cheaper.
  4. BearClaw

BearClaw Junior Member

When did you first start noticing the white smoke? There is a GM injector cleaner you can buy. It is about $25 for a bottle. You pull a fuel line and run it 50/50 through the engine for a couple hours. Some people have seen it clean there injectors and get their balance rates back in line. It could get you through the season anyway. You can drive with a bad injector for a little while but it could cause harm to the engine if you drive on it to long.
    If you were any where near me I would offer to check them. For the cost of the possible engine damage of running on a real bad injector it might be worth taking to a dealer and having them check it out.

If you are looking at picking up a used tuner do some homework and make sure it can check balance rates. Also many used tuners will be vin locked and you might have to pay for the manufacturer to unlock it.
  5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

the excessive smoke can be also caused by a faulty FPR (fuel pressure regulator, located on the CP3 or injection pump). That is what caused my LB7 to smoke as the injector balance rates were still within spec. A high end scanner like OTC genesis or tech 2 will pull those balance rates. supposedly a programmers will too like the PPE. That's what I would check. also search for the "fuel in the oil" check, that way you can determine if it's making oil (i.e. adding so much fuel its leaking into the crankcase).

If all that checks out and there is no additional noise I'd just keep driving it. I drove mine Lb7 for 7,000 with it smoking pretty good at idle until I could change the FPR. Just my .02 cents.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Stick your nose by the exhaust.

If it smells like antifreeze, then you could have a blown head gasket.

Smells like diesel exhaust, then it could be over-fueled.

If it's blue, it could be oil.

I would would find the root of the problem before tuning it, or you could be tuning a fixable motor into a giant boat anchor.

CT-TILEMAN Member

I have a TECH2, lemme know if I can help.