1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone tell me if I am paying too much!?!?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Fawcett, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

Thanks for reading,

I am about to buy a new truck and it comes with a 8' Fisher HD MM2 set up with the joy stick.

The dealer quoted the price of the plow and its installation at $6400.

Is he asking too much? What do these plows range in as far as price goes?

Thank you,
    Fawcett

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

WOW, I didn't pay that much for my Xtreme V.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah that seems high. We paid 5900.00 for our new 8.6 Extreme V SS a couple months ago. I think a straight blade around here is somewhere around 5300-5500

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What about the truck? are they lowballing the truck and trying to make some profit on the plow? They are probably pricing the plow at MSRP.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good point, I know a Fisher 8.6 Extreme V in SS lists for just over 7K but I dont know too many guys who would pay that.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO when buying a truck with a plow mounted you need to consider what you are willing to pay for the entire package not the components separately. Easy way to figure that out; go to any of the sites that tell you the average price that vehicle sold for, then price the plow you want installed total the two equals the price point.

Plus yopu write it into the loan and it is covered by the insurance as part of the vehicle rather then an add on.

7. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

Thanks for getting back to me guys!

The truck is a 2012 F350 XL Reg Cab with lots of options.

The MSRP on the truck was $36,690-then add the plow and we are looking at a price around $43k.

I know thats a very high point to start negotiations but I got them to meet me at $32k after trading in my POS truck, Ford incentives and knocking them down on their asking price.

Am I getting a good deal or?......

I havn't signed any papers so I can walk on this deal.

I'm supposed to pick it up today, please let me know your thoughts!

Thank you,
    Fawcett

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I paid 4900 for an 8.6 ss exv unistalled, so yes they are charging to much.

9. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

I hate the feel of a bad deal, now I think I'm getting screwed.

The truck is a 2012 F350 XL Reg Cab with power windows locks, e-diff, 4x4 etc

TrueCar.com is saying that $34k is a pretty good price to pay for this truck with the options it has. They value the 8' Fisher HD plow at $6400. The MSRP is $36,690.

All summed up, our negotiations started at the dealerships percieved total value of the truck and plow-$42k
    Though TrueCar's price plus the (inflated) price of the plow adds up to $40,400.

The offered me $3500 worth of rebates and $4k for my trade in and after some negotiations we settled at $32k.

The truck is very nice but I still think I'm getting screwed a bit.

10. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

Call Donovan in NH, just over the MA/NH line.

http://www.donovancompany.com/fisherplowmodels.html

Get a quote installed from them, remember it's tax free in NH so you will save $300-$400 at least on the taxes.

Also factor in the extra finance charges on the plow price as you will be paying at least $100/month/60 months or more to add it to the truck and finance it.

I always try to keep away from dealers when I buy add-on's as they really try to put the crews to you if they can.

Good Luck.

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Very Good Advice, You can also purchase the plow and install it yourself. The way they come from the factory it very simple to do the installation yourself as long as you follow the directions. 4qte.com has the best prices on the internet. I have bought 2 plows from them and installed them myself also.

12. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Sub d......

13. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

I ended up biting the bullet and taking the deal. They offered me a lot more for my trade in than it was worth, about twice as much, so I said scew it. I know I am going to pay a lot more for the plow but the benefit is that I don't have to go out and spend an extra $5k out of pocket to get a plow set up. Going from a busy landscaping season to a screeching hault during the winter months makes me want to keep as much cash in my pocket as I can, just incase. Spreading out the cost of the truck and plow will help me out in the short run, I plan on doubling my payments during landscaping season to reduce the amount I'm going to have to pay on interest.

I would like to thank everyone for helping me out and offering their advice.
    You all are great, LETS SEE SOME SNOW!!!
    Fast Freddie