1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help me choose a Toro Snowthrower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hansol74, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hansol74

hansol74 Junior Member
    from Canada

2. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Depends on if you are lifting it in and out of the truck. You dont want some too heavy thats gonna wear you out !

3. hansol74

hansol74 Junior Member
    from Canada

I had two models in mind.

1) Toro Power Clear™ 221Q
    2) Toro Power Clear™ 421Q

Which one is the better one? I'm doing about 10 residential medium sized driveways this year.

Thanks.

4. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

I have had both single and two stage snowblowers and run almost the same amount and size of drive ways you do. About seven 2-6 car capacity and I find that the most effeinct ( both time,cost and labor ) is to have a two stage snowblower about 26-30 inches wide( any bigger is too big for the 2 car ones) and a big 26-30 inch plow type shovel. for example 0-1 inch just shovel, 1-3 shovel into rows and snowblow ( snowblowing the whole thing is too time consuming, expecailly with a single stage) and 4- whatever just snowblow. Trust me this is the best way to do this without a truck or tractor. I've been doing this for 5 years, and this is the best way to do it I have found.

5. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I have both of these. The 421 I have is last years model with the Tecumseh. This years model is powered by a Brigs...I believe and a tad heavier. 221 is a bit lighter. If you have a bad back go with the 221Q. If you are in shape and lifting to the tailgate either is fine.

Anyhow the 421 throws the snow a bit further and has a bit more grunt and you don't get a fumed out like you do with the 2 stroke 221Q.

Both are lighting fast with the quick shoot system.

I do run a Honda HS1132 track drive, pretty stout blower, but it is not needed 60%-80% of the time. But when you need it .... you need it. When snow conditions change from fluffy light powder to driven over snow and dense packed powder, corn snow, heavy slush the 2-stage will shine.

Really depends on what size driveways and how far you need to throw snow.