1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can Push Plates 7169 be used with a minute mount 1?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by OneManWithAPlow, Sep 9, 2016.

1. OneManWithAPlow

OneManWithAPlow Senior Member

Title says it all. The plates mount on the truck, but can they be used with a MM1 or only MM2? Is there a difference? Thanks.

Also, on a side note, will holes need to be drilled in the plow for a snow deflector if none are present?

Thanks
    OneManWithAPlow

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

you can use those plates on a mm1 or mm2 plow

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Like unhcp said push plates are the same for both MM1 and MM2. Yes you will need to drill holes for deflector if there are none there.

4. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

All pushplates are compatible with either mm1 or mm2. The difference is only on the plow side (specifically, the mm2 uses the lever with the cam bars to move the pins in and out, rather than pulling them manually.)

There ARE a few applications where the MM1 plow will not work with a later model truck and the 2007 and later Chevy's are one of them, so if you truck/plow combo falls into that then you should check into it first (Later model Tundras are another I think.) Basically, the MM1 plow a-frame will interfere with the bumper on the newer trucks. There isn't any fix for it; the pushplates are exactly the same. The old, obselete plows just aren't compatible with much newer trucks.

Unrelated to the pushplates is the wiring; if the mm1 plow has the old 2 plug wiring, it will not be compatible with any truck that you would be using those 7169 pushplates on.

5. OneManWithAPlow

Thank you. Interesting. I got a full plow setup (truck side as well as plow side) for a fisher MM1 off of a 96 F350 with plates 7128. I am trying to mount the same plow on a 2002 GMC 2500. I ordered and received (yesterday) plates for the GMC with the aforementioned 7169 part number. I have not yet checked whether the included wiring was 2 or 3 plug. If it is 2 plug, does this mean I will need an entirely different setup? Also I believe the blade is of the HD series as its a bit older but still a 4 spring setup. Thank you. Also I'm very new to this so bare with me.

6. kimber750

Does your wiring have relays or a 4 port module?

7. OneManWithAPlow

I'm not exactly sure, what can I look for that determines the difference?

8. kimber750

You will either have two small relays or a larger black box with 4 ports on it.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Did you get a new wiring harness for the chevy? I do not believe your old ford headlamp harness will work on the chevy.

10. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

If it came off a 96, then you almost certainly have the older relay style wiring. If so, the headlight adapters from the Ford will not work with your Chevy. Worse, the ones you would need to make it work are no longer available from Fisher. You would have 2 options;

a) buy all new truck wiring for the 3 plug setup AND the harnesses as well to convert the plow to a 3 plug (but this will probably run you upwards of $1000 worth of parts)

b) Hardwire the lighting wires to a toggle switch to operate the plow lights independent of the truck lights

11. OneManWithAPlow

Thank you for the insight. I got the entire setup for $350, so it may not be worth the $1000 in harnesses. The year difference between the two trucks is only 6 years, but I will check out the wiring when I get home tonight. The second option sounds much cheaper. Do you happen to have a generic wiring diagram for the lighting setup? If I go that route will my existing wiring work? Is a diagram necessary or is it a simple 3 wire setup with a switch? And could I leave the switch at "on" and just tap into headlight power?

12. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

The 6 years isn't really the issue so much as the fact that they are completely different trucks. The lights on the ford it came off of are completely different than the ones on the chevy.

Yes, your existing wiring will work. We use a 3 position toggle ourselves (for OFF, HI BEAM, and LOW BEAM.)
    The OEM wiring diagram is attached. In the upper center of the drawing you will see the 2 relays. Going from them to the 9 pin vehicle side connector are 3 wires labeled Black, White, and Black/Orange (the black and white are going to the pins labeled 87 on the relays.) Black is Low Beam, White is High Beam, and the Black/Orange goes to ground (and does not need to be switched.) The turn and park wires will get spliced in like normal. The wires that are showing going to the vehicle wiring will not be used at all.

The power for the switch should come from the battery (ideally through a fuse holder) NOT the headlight wiring for 2 reasons.

1) you would have to leave you vehicle lights on at the same time as the plow which will result in the truck lights reflecting off the back of the blade. That is why all the plow harnesses switch off the truck lights when the plow is attached. You want to be able to still turn them off manually.

2) the added draw of the truck lights and the plow lights together would likely blow the fuse on your truck for your headlights

Attached Files:

13. kimber750

Most of what you need can be found used online for a lot less than $1000. May even be able to find a two plug setup for your truck. To make the 2 plug set up that you have work you just need to find the correct headlight harness. But still you have not confirmed if it is 2 plug or 3 plug. Go out and see how many connectors are on the plow. Until then we are all just wasting time.

14. OneManWithAPlow

This is the wiring I currently have:

https://imgur.com/a/QJGt4

Also, I apologize for taking so long to figure this out, Ive recently had to do a bit of cross state driving and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at for wiring. It is apparent to me now, that this may be entirely plow-side wiring and I will need to obtain all truck side wiring(?).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  15. kimber750

If that is all you have you are missing quite a bit of wiring. What you do have is a 2 plug relay system.

16. kimber750

And have no idea what the trailer plug extension is there for.

17. OneManWithAPlow

Is it for better or worse that I have a 2 plug relay system? Also what other wiring am I going to need?

18. kimber750

Unfortunately most of what you have/pictured is headlight harness which won't work on the Chevy. Only benefit to staying with two plug is not changing any wiring on plow itself. Downside is the 2 plug stuff for truckside is getting harder to find. Should be able to find 3 plug 3 port wiring on places like ebay pretty cheap. You would need everything for truck including control, plow would need light and control harnesses.

19. OneManWithAPlow

Thank you. So I should just grab everything 3 plug 3 port? I'm assuming prices for 2 vs 3 plug are probably pretty close when buying used with 3 being slightly more expensive?

Also, if switching to 3, what would I have to change on the plow itself?

I'm also contemplating selling the entire setup and seeing if I could find something more readily compatible. I also still need a blade and after all the necessary wiring/parts and push plates, it'll be about $1000 all said and done

20. kimber750

You don't even have a plow? You paid $350 for that little bit of wiring?