1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can plows be used as "jacks"?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plow150, Feb 17, 2005.

1. plow150

plow150 Member

Perhaps a silly idea, not sure. Managed to get the truck stuck recently. All four wheels buried, sitting on frame. After a whole bunch of effort, lifted, blocked and got it out. I wondered afterward if there might have been a way to put the plow to use in this situation. Mine has a hydraulic actuator for lifting, no chain, just a direct link with the actuator.

Wondered if anyone knows whether plow hydraulics have enough power to turn the plow & gear into a "jack" and raise the front end. I would guess that maybe the actuator might have to be switched, ie. for plowing it powers up but freefalls down, so maybe it could be rigged to "power down" instead? In this particular case it would have been easier to swap actuators than it was to jack/block it.

I don't know much about hydraulics, so I'm curious whether anyone has ever done this or has any thoughts on whether it could work.

2. Blizzard Plower

Blizzard Plower Junior Member
    from Il

Even if it applied down pressue like the Snoway, it still won't help you.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

no, I don't think so. I doubt the pistons would take that kink of load either.

4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

You'd need a two way lift cylinder, and a real strong one at that. The plow linkages would be under tremendous stress and would not be at optimal angles to hold the truck up for very long.

5. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Up and down- No, no down pressure.

I have on occasion used the angle function to "push" me out of a pile when Ive driven in. Angled back and forth with the truck in reverse can help you out of a pile if you get too far in.

6. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

The only thing I would guess is maybe asking Boss Plows. Their hook up and removal is activated by the hydraulic ram going inreverse, "pushing" down, inturn lifting the plow up onto the truck with the touch of a switch and spring loaded pins. Best to see it action for yourself. Once its on, the ram acts like any other plow "pulling" the plow to be raised and dropping down to plow.

If not, buy 4 rams, a separate pump and rig it up on your chasis. so when you get stuck, your rams (one in each corner) will lift your truck off the ground. When finished pull back in hiding away from view.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Been there, done that. Several times, three times with the last storm. Best thing to do is scoop snow from under the back of the plow and A-frame. Then, like SteveVB said, use the angle function to alternate left and right, essentially pushing the truck backward. This clears some space in front of the plow, so you can "rock" - forward, brake, reverse, brake. Repeat until free. I don't attempt angling while rocking as there's the chance of pushing the truck sideways and getting the tires buried in fresh snow.

Like I said, I did this three times last weekend. The first time was about 4:30AM. Nobody up and nothing open. Last time was about 11:00. People up and everything open, but not a tow truck available in a 30 mile radius.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

My rear plow will lift my truck....Rob

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take a heavy pointed garden shovel with me now.
    I climbed a pile just a little too far this season and got her stuck but good. Digging out the back of the plow with a plastic snow shovel just will not do! The front tires were digging for China. Angeling the plow back and forth got the hard snow broke up enough to shovel with the plastic tools.