1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can not make up my mind.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DCL, Oct 21, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Well, ive been searching and reading up on everything this site has to offer for the past month or so. I will be plowing this season with a 07 chevy 3500 dump. I can not for the life of me decide what to get for a plow. My work will be mainly residential with some commercial. Ultimatly I will be going with a 9' fisher blade. but...v plow? xls? HD? stainless? Xblade. Damn theres just so many options....any input/advice, gretly appriciated...Thanks!

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy... you opened up a world of possibilities, and a bunch of suggestions here! I'm speaking only from the perspective of using an 8' Fisher HD. Straight blades move snow. HD's move snow, and Vee's move snow, and Xblades move snow. Many people will say that different blades work better for different scenarios (like residentials might not be the application for an X-blade, but moving volumes of snow from commercials are great with them). While I believe some blades will help with certain things, people forget that experience and creativity allow plowers to do just fine with what they have (2 proverbs: Necessity is the mother of invention; and a real craftsman is not limited by his tools). Would I love a 9'6" Xtreme Vee? Of course. Will I make due with what I have? Of course. If money is no object, go for the shiny stainless XV. Without ANY experience in changing blades, I suggest a conservative straight HD that you may upgrade later if you decide you need to (there are many people out there who can help you with that, even with the purchase of something LIKE new -- Brian Davis is a great asset in Ipswich MA). Good luck!

~Kevin

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Big truck for driveways. Get the 10 foot Boss V plow.

4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

lol, how did I know that was coming...:laughing:

5. DCL

DCL Member

Yeah, my intention was to get some good flowing lol But I think your right, only your own experience can tell. As far as money, im willing to make the investment. I had my mind made up to go with the new XLS, but I am no longer sure. Just looking for a tad more advice before I go out and drop 6k on a plow lol.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I just told you what to buy ,you don't need to look any farther !

7. DCL

DCL Member

a 10' blade on a 3500? Bit to large dont you think?

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

thats what the XLS is stretched out(10 ft).?..?...I vote XLS....FWIW, I couldn't imagine running anything less than 9ft on a dual wheel truck, JMO.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i think you blade will be wider than some drivewaysxysport

10. DCL

DCL Member

Yeah I like the fact that it stretches to 10' but shrinks to 8'. Nice for open spaces but also nice for small spaces or travel. Im deffenetly leaning towards it.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Better make a decision quick. Snow is coming.
    I would say the XLS but I am a Sno-Way guy

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Boss 9'2" Power V-XT.

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

XLS or Blizzard. Versatility is the way to go, especially with one truck-you will have the best of both worlds.