1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can new Dodge have Dual Batts?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Now that I've added lights, salter, run the plow, heater, music, etc, the electrical system is definitely taxed. I've done a search but nobody has specifically talked about the new Dodge trucks. Mine is a 2004, it came with the snow plow prep so it has the upgraded alt. The big problem is where to put the other battery? Just NO ROOM under the hood. Is it possible to mount it under the bed of the truck, lots of room between cab and tire... would the distance from the alternator be a problem, I've been told you want to keep these distances short. Any thoughts? Remember I did do a search, just no one seems to have done it on the new (gas) Rams. Maybe you just can't :confused:

2. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

My diesel has 2 batts. I don't know if it will help but I can take a pic if u want.

3. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Cool, post a pic or two off the battery location and the cable routing between the two batteries. Thanks for offering those pics to it be a great help!!

4. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

I have a '94 2500 with the V10. Just last week I finished up the install of a second battery tray, using a stock tray, in the stock location. I got a passenger side tray off a diesel rig at a junk yard, and moved the coolant tank and air pump. I don't know how under the hood of the '04 compares. If anybody is interested I could post a detailed description and a few pics???

5. Grn Mtn

Pictures sound great guys, but I just think there isn't any room under the hood.

6. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I took some pics of mine. Gonna take me a little while to get them posted. You can buy a battery bracket and install it where they put it on the diesels. Take a look at mine. When I get the pics up. Unless the hemi does things way different (which is entirely possible) it should work. There is definetaly room under my hood.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Duel batt location... right fender..
    1, go to your dodge dealer and order right side batt tray.( they make them) cost $25to $30, the holes are already there in your fender, and it has mounts on it four your tranny vac stuff so you can relocate them .
    2' batt hold down
    3, batt, same kind and size cca and age. I got the kind with both top post and side post to make hooking the second set to the main batt (stock local) easier and it makes jumpstarting some one easer too.
    4, i used jumper cables (the wire from a set, the thick stuff) and some new batt terminals, i ran the wire through some wire looming then slid it through the radiator support( its hallow on the dodges) and your done......
    I've done this on all of my dodges and it workes great.....

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

P.S. I'll post pic latter to day.
    I know when you look under the hood that it looks like there is no room but when you get the new tray home it should start to make some sense....

9. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

I installed batt caps on mine in addition to two batteries. Its not a cheap solution but works well in short high draw applications. I believe the discharge is 8 seconds. I was pulling close to 200 amps and the stock alternater was only good to 115.

10. Grn Mtn

I'll believe it when I see it :D