1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can my truck handle this plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BOSSMAN21, Jan 24, 2009.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I talked to my dealer today and he said my truck could handle it but just want to make sure. It is a 8'2 power V Steel blade. My truck is a 2003 Chev 1500HD. Thanks in advance.
  2. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I would say that your truck would prolly handle it as far as driving around and so on, But, When you work a 1500 truck with the amount of weight from the snow and the plow, and the back and forth you have for several hours on the transmission, I would buy a better truck or a lighter plow. Is it worth having a bad ass plow on your truck for the season to just turn around and spend all your earnings on repairs of the Tranny, Ball Joints, axles and so on? Your call. I would NEVER put a plow on a 1/2 ton truck again. Been there Done that. I had a 00 1500 ram with a 360 in it. plenty of power, quad cab long bed. I put 4 trannys and 2 front axles on it in 5 years. I got to the point that I wouldn't get to change the fluid before the parts went bad. Its like changing the motor instead of putting gas in it. Doesn't make any sence.
    Why did i put 4 trannys and 2 front ends in it? You can't sell a truck when its broke. So you fix it. Why sell it if you have a new plow and tranny??? its like the old joke.......

pete and repete sat on a wall, Pete fell off......... New tranny! :)
  3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Sounds like your dealer needs to make some money. The answer is no!
  4. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Not trying to start a fight here but my truck has been plowing for 6 years now and never gone through a tranny.
  5. 04WhiteSport

Then dont ask for peoples openions if you dont want the truth. Go ahead and get a 30 ft plow for all I care. You will be getting new parts for your truck whether you think so or not. a half ton truck is not made to support that kind of weight and force . just my 2 cents as a professional. :gunsfiring:
  6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Well like I said not trying to start an argument but u see people putting 8' plows on their 1/2 ton trucks all the time.....to be safe I will probably go with a 7'6 v or wings on my straight blade.
  7. 04WhiteSport

Wise choice!
  8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

HAHA lol I thought u would say that. No hard feelings!
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your 1500HD is an actual 1500HD with the 8 lug wheels, crew cab short bed configuration? If not, then you don't want the 8.2 V. Technically you can't even run an 8.2 V on it even if it is an actual 8 lug 1500HD...but who would tell? :D
  10. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I dont really know but it says 1500HD on the side and I dont know about the lug wheels.
  11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey there Scott. My first Boss was the 7'6" V and I wished each and every day that I went with the 8'2". Think about it for a second.....It's only 8" more. Your tranny would blow just as quick with the 7'6" as the 8'2". It's all in how you treat your equipment. Just think about long term. Don't buy something today if it's not going to be useful a year or two down the road. Remember the big picture.

I'd aim for a 3/4 ton and put a 9'2" on it. Probably cause it's what I currently run, but it is a great setup.

I might even have a used 8'2" for sale after the season is over. I plan on putting a 9'2" on my father's rig.
  12. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

The 8'2" poly V weighs 100lbs more (about 15%) than the steel 7'6" V. It's hard to say how much more 8" of pushed snow will weigh, as it depends largely on the conditions during the snowfall. It is fair to say though that this additional weight will be a bit harder on the tranny. However, in my opinion, a big thing to keep in mind is how you will run your equipment. I am not trying to bash anyone here, but the conditions you run your truck and plow under very likely are not the same as those who had the luck of going through numerous transmissions in a true 1/2 ton Dodge. Not positive, but your tranny could be a bit more firm than the ones Dodge were running at the time.
  13. chevykid

chevykid Member

its a chevy put the 8'2'' v on it wont have a problem put some timbrens crank the t-bars add a little ballast and that thing will be a beast i have a 2003 1500hd as well truck is a beast only have a 8ft meyer on it but it stilll doesnt even drop without timbrens at all only got the t bars cranked a little i say u should go with it i had a 99 tahoe plowed with it for a while never had a tranny blow nothing like a chevy
  14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Didnt in 03-05 they make that 1500HD which was a heavier duty truck than a regular 1500
  15. Squires

Squires Senior Member

yes they did, 8 lug with the 6.0L, I don't understand when people talk about a 1500hd when it has the 6 lug axle

the true 1500HD badged trucks are from what i can see the same as the 2500 non hd models they came with the autotrack transfer case
  16. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I talked to my Chevrolet dealer today and that is what mine is, it is an 8 lug with a 6.0L.
  17. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

I have the answer to your tranny problems.......

ALWAYS been known for junk transmissions!!!! JMO
  18. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

It will be fine, go for it!
  19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i seen a 1500 reg cab short bed with an 8'2 poly vee on it and it looked fine to me. go for it
  20. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Copied from my other post for your Pleasure!

And yes if the following applies. wesport oops forgot to tell ya it is a extended cab truck, that doesn't carry 4 Workers weighing in at 180lbs a piece for all the warranty concerned.