1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can my truck handle this plow?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by skywalker, Nov 10, 2010.

1. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

So I'm fairly new to snow plowing and currently have only one plow but need desperately to purchase number two. Last year I bought a brand new Fisher 8-6 V plow and put it on a ' 96 Chevy 3500. This year I was planning on buying an XLS for the same truck and running the V plow on an ' 05 GMC 2500. From what I've been told at the local Fisher dealer, the XLS is too much plow for a ' 96 one ton and the V is not recommended for the 2500 with the 6 litre motor. I may have misunderstood the second part but I'm sure that the first part is accurate. The dealer is very reputable but I a: don't want to believe this info as it's going to put me right back at ground zero, and b) am curious if the dealers error heavily on the side of caution in regards to this stuff so as to cover their tails in the event of a broken frame. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if the advice I've been given is correct I'm certainly open to any recommendations as to what plow my suite my needs. I landed a couple big lots this year and really want something with the capability to handle a lot of snow. Also, I'm a big fan of wings and definitely want them on whatever plow will end up in front of the one ton. Thanks a lot.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I say go for it!

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've been running an 810, which is the biological father of the XLS, for ten years on my 97 K3500. Technically I am over my front axle gvwr, but I have the diesel with the heaviest torsion bars, which I turned up an inch and a half. It carries it well. I thought about Timbrens but I don't seem to need them, so I'm not going to spend the money just to hurt the empty ride. Only problem I've had related to the plow is front wheelbearing hub assemblies. I've gone through quite a few of them, and I know it's because of the heavy plow. If you change them, but the expensive ones, the cheapy aftermarket ones are only good for a year before they split. Oh, and check out your lower control arms, there were two kinds used, cast and stamped. The stamped ones aren't nearly as strong. And look at your front framerails just behind where the upper control arm mounts, that's where the frame cracks if it's going to. Mine never has.
    The 05 will handle the V, although I would put the Timbrens on that truck. And you're absolutely right, they estimate their plow recommendations WAY on the side of caution. You can't even put a real plow on a half ton anymore. I remember when everybody ran 8' Fisher conventionals on half tons.

4. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

Thanks a lot Detroit Dan. I stopped at the dealer today and a different guy told me I'd have no problem with an xls on the 05 three quarter of the 96 one ton. After I told him what the other guy told me yesterday, he looked it up and said indeed the xls was not recommended on the one ton. This same guy told me that I could put whatever I wanted on the three quarter as long as it has the 4800# front axle and not the 4500# er. Is it really possible that this newer three quarter will carry a lot more plow than the older one ton?