1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can my truck handle 8foot pro ultramount

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lowazztruck, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lowazztruck

lowazztruck Junior Member

hi i have a 2003 1500 silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 reg cab long bed. i have a chance to get a 8 foot western ultramunt for a good price but is this too much fr my truck weight wise? or am i safe. im prob gonna get torsion keys and lift the front end a little bit

2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

with proper ballast and some cranks on the torsion bars you should be fine.

3. lowazztruck

what is a ballast? im new to this

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ive gotta friend with a 2500 and his squats really hard with it...and its just the pro plow..not the proplus.. id say no

5. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

ballast is just some kind of weight in the bed to offset the weight of the plow in the front.

6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

the weights are very similar for the different size plows. for instance, I know of a lot of 1/2 ton trucks with 7 1/2' pro plow that are just fine. the weight difference between these plows and an 8' pro plus is 805# to 682# or 789# for a 7 1/2' pro plus.

Just going by the numbers, I'd say this truck should be o.k. with this set up. A set of timbrens or an equivalent would help

7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I see lots of 1/2 ton trucks with 8' blades, you should be fine.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2.

There's a guy cruising around my area with an old RT2 Boss 9.2V on a 96-99 Chevy K1500. :eek:

9. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I have an 05 1500 with 8ft Western Pro. A few cranks of the torsion bars and it does not squat much at all with the plow on now.

10. lowazztruck

i was thinking bout cutting the blad down to 7.5 for the 20 lbs and less snow to push? i really want a hts but this deal is to good to pass up

11. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...I wouldnt go cutting the blade down to size...either stick with the 8ft. or go with what you truly want, the HTS.

12. lowazztruck

im just woried about breaking alot of parts on the truck

13. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

getting new torsion bar keys would not do anything for handling the plow except raising your truck a few inches in the front.. timbren kit would be the best solution and tightening up your torsion bars i would not tighten them all the way up witch would cause wear and tear on your truck (more than usual) i would think you would be ok with a 8 foot plow

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just plow carefully (and smart) and do what everyone else has said and you'll be fine. What will you be plowing? Drives, lots, roads?

15. lowazztruck

driveways and some lots

16. lowazztruck

some places are saying go with the mid weight some say hts and some say i can handle the 8pro so im lost. also how do i no if my truck is snow plow prep

17. gas man

gas man Junior Member

you will be fine. i have been running my 8ft pro for a couple years with no problems, my truck is 00 gmc ext cab with a 3 in. bodylift with 285's gave the tbars a few cranks and its fine. everyone says it looks really nice and does not sag hardly at all. If you use your head and plow smart you will not tear anything up. oh and also upped the air pressure in the front tires as well.

18. lowazztruck

thanks i think im gonna give it a shot

19. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

I have a 7'6 on a tahoe, but I take it off IMMEDIATELY...dont drive around town with tha plow on. Why take chances

20. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member