1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can my 02 handle this ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by blk90s13, Nov 10, 2009.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 02 cummins short bed and was wondering if I get a dump insert would I be able to use it and fill it with topsoil mulch fire wood etc with my stock susp ? I may get some beefed up shocks thats all
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

youll be fine your going to run out of room before you overload the truck
  3. blk90s13

Great to hear that all I would carry is a cord of firewood maybe a yard of topsoil etc

Nothing major

Thanks for ur input

I dis agree. A cord of fire wood or 2 Yards of topsoil I bet you are overweight. If it was you i would take the truck empty with just you and a full tank of fuel and scale it find out what it weighs. Then add around a 1000 pounds for the dump insert. Take the GVW and subtract it from the empty weight of the truck and ad 1000 pounds to it for the dump body. I bet you would be lucky to be legally good for 1500 - 2000 pounds of actual material.
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i agree that it may be over the gvw when fully loaded but that wasn't what he was asking, the stock suspension will handle it fine. heck any 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a dump is overweight very easily. i cant cant legally haul 2 tons in my f-350 because of the gvwr, but can the truck hold more sure..

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I used to run a 8' stailess salter and 1.5 yd of salt in my 03 1500 plow truck. Had to add a few springs but the truck handeled the weight great. Personally if the vehicle is clean and rides level the chances you will get in trouble are small. Just don't try running down the interstate and pass any scales.
  7. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I agree, the truck will handle it fine. We have a utility body 8800GVW, 2500 Cummins that is 9200lb on the scales before we load it up for the day. So go figure. The GVW is just to keep the lawyers happy.
  8. blk90s13

Truck empty is 7300lbs + 1000 dump body = 8300lbs haha leaves me 500lbs

All I care about is the suspension and truck handling the weight never mind being legal