1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can leaving you controller plugged in drain your battery????

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by J.W.SnowRemoval, Nov 24, 2005.

1. J.W.SnowRemoval

J.W.SnowRemoval Junior Member

I have noticed the last 2 times I have left my controller attached the battery in my truck has been dead? Is it possible for the controller to have enough draw to drain the battery? I tried to disconnect the plow harness and the battery still died in about 2 hours but when I disconnect both the plow harness and the controller harness the battery is fine.

Any thoughts in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

The controller is powered through the plow harness. Its not plugged into the vehicle, the wire lead just goes through the firewall and over to the plow. If you can unplug the plow power harness and your till draining your battery. Odds are if you take the plow off completely you will have the same problem. My guess is its the battery. The only other problem that could be causing this is that since the power harness is directly hooked up to the battery and always energized, if there is a spot in the cables that are grounding, then the battery could potentially drain as a result of this. Hope this gives you a few things to look at!

:salute:

3. J.W.SnowRemoval

Thanks for the thought.....but if I disconnect the plow harness from the round connector at the truck it will still drain the battery. However if I disconnect the controller harness the battery keeps it's charge. I had this problem 1 time last year and since I had my plow off all summer I have had no problems.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:help: :help:

4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

:blush2: Just to make sure we are on the right page. The round connector at the truck with the three holes or pins is the contorller harness while the larger double end power wire is a large two pin hook up. If the only time your getting a drain in the battery is when the controller is hooked up. The Controller itself should not have enough electrical draw to drain the battery, especielly since they are programmed to turn off in 20 minutes if not in use. This would lead me to believe that you might have a short in your controller. This could cause either a continues running pump or solenoid which in turn would have enough electrical draw to drain the battery. I would suggest have your dealer check out the controller! Sorry for the confusion on my part!

5. J.W.SnowRemoval

Good stuff, I did not know that they could check the controller for any shorts. Have you had any experience with the joystick controller?