1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can it work?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rugbyplowguy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rugbyplowguy

rugbyplowguy Junior Member

I have an older truck that has a plow similar to this one:

And I am looking at a different truck that has a Unimount frame on it. Is it possible to make my plow work with this mount? Or am I looking at pulling everything off of my old truck to put on the new one?

The old one is a '73 chev, and the new one is a '76 chev, So I am pretty sure that the parts will fit, just not sure If I am going to be able to get them off of the old one.

Any thoughts Ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is a good chance that the mount will move over to the new truck since they are both chevs and only a few years apart. Have a good look at each part though and check for cracks. You will probably have to cut the bolts as they will be rusty. The hard part might be the electrical, if you have dual headlamps on one and single on the other things will get complicated. The same number of headlamp bulbs and the same type of bulbs would be ideal.
  3. mnz28

mnz28 Member

On a unimount the plow motor and lights are one unit correct? On your current set up the lights and motor stay connected to the truck?
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As I recall all the cable operated Westerns had the motor & valve body permanently mounted to the truck, so there are no plugs at the grill that could effect this, if that is where you are going...