1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can it be banged out

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by hogisland, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hogisland

hogisland Junior Member
    from mass

Hi

I have a fisher 8.5ft plow on a chevy 2500 - hit a rock the other day and the yellow part of the plow is dented and separated from the cutting edge just for about 3" or so in the middle.
    Seems to be straight enough or flush with ground more or less. BUT can I get it banged out at a bodyshop do you think? The electro-mechanics are fine

Thanks

Hog

2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

you could probally pound it out. is it the moldboard or tripedge?

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

post a pic of it and somebody will help with the how

4. hogisland

hogisland Junior Member
    from mass

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I think the rock won?

6. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Anything can be fixed. The question is what is the cost. I don't think a body shop would be the place to take it. Take it to a fab shop or plow dealer who does repairs. They should be able to give you and estimate.

7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I would call that good advise, then bring it home and paint it back up and you are good to go............

It looks like it was pretty hard hit.........I would check for other bent items.

Good luck

8. hogisland

hogisland Junior Member
    from mass

Thanks guys - I'll do that
    (yes the rock did win!)

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont ahve it fix unless you plan on replacing the moleboard. Part out that plow and take a loss. Any money you put into that plow repairing it a body shop will be a complete loss any will devalue that plow.
    Insta act motor 700
    Plow lights 75
    pistons 60x3
    Aframe 150
    headgear 200

I am sure my numbers are a bit off. but that plow is worth about 1200 parted out. And a Used MM2 off truck unit can be found for 2200 on average if not less this late in season. But if you put 500 or more into that plow its always going to be a damaged plow that wont sell. So for a few hundred more it will look like it should. Plus unless they never seem to cut right once you get them straightened. And If we get a storm on Wednsday will it be fixed on time? So if you miss a storm it really makes it not worth it

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

why dont you just spend some cash, and buy a knew blade and trip edge?

11. hogisland

hogisland Junior Member
    from mass

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep using it for the rest of the season and see what can be done. Do I have to sell the parts separately (rather than sell as-is for parts). If so that would be a pain.,

I hope we don't get any more snow. But we will, we know that

Thanks again

12. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Well you now have a V plow... It's fixable but it will never be like new.
    It looks like you have a lot of stressed welds there.
    I would just buy a blade or do you plan on doing this some more :(

How fast were you going and did you check you frame, you lucky the air bags didn't come out.

Good luck

13. BigDave12768

there has been a guy with a Yellow steel X blade for sale on Cl pretty cheap too. Its just the blade and i think he ruined the trip a bit. I am not sure if the A Frame will line up. BB could answer that I bet. its just the board no other parts. that may work for you.

cant find Xblade but this will work. And a cheap easy fix. If you want it shiney and new looking get it done up over summer,
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/pts/1025765838.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  14. BigDave12768

Parting it would be simple. Its all pins. But yeah you could sell as whole. just not sure it sell as easy. Pump and piston would go fast

15. stillen

stillen Senior Member

where in MA are you from.... My buddy is a steel fabricator... works wonders

16. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I gotta agree with BigDave on this one, you are looking for a ton of long running issues. I would call my insurance guy and see what he says also. Maybe by the time you get a repair check from them, and part it out you can get into a new(er) plow. I would definitely check the frame and all the weld on the truck and plow. That looks like a really hard hit.

Either way good luck.

Toyman

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

With that much damage to the plow itself, expect to find damage elsewhere... like the push plates, frame of the truck, etc.
    You hit hard!

18. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

im surprised u didnt get thrown through the windshield

19. hogisland

hogisland Junior Member
    from mass

Hi, North shore - Essex, MA
    What does a fabricator do?

Thanks for all the replies - I guess I should take to dealer to see if damage to frame as has been suggested. Seems to drive OK. I wasn't going very fast - maybe 15 mph I'd guess.

20. stillen

stillen Senior Member

my fabricator, well, umm, fabs steel... makes boo-bbos lie this better......he kinda far from you thouhg, hes in fitchburg... he made me a kick ass back drag,,