1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i use the brake controller

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jeffwich, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

Can i use the brake controller to run my tailgate spreader? I did search and found nothing about it. Thanks Jeff

2. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i see a draw back, it would start the 12v motor every time you stepped on your brake. i dont see why it wouldnt supply the power to the motor. are you thinking of just wiring it to the 7 way plug? maybe take the feed power wire to the brake controller and put a on/off toggle on it so you can cut the power to it so you can shut it off.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Huh????????????:confused:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting idea. I presume you are looking to create a variable speed drive. The brake controllers are good for about 30 amps. What's the spreader draw.

5. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I dont see why its not possible. That is if you want to salt everytime your braking. You could easily make one as well with a variable resistor and a 2 way switch, but real controllers have overload circuits and some other features which protect your system.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think the variable speed controllers use a variable resistor, at least not the final drive. You're talking about a 500 watt varistor. The heat output would be incredible. I would suspect they use an SCR or triac to switch it on and off at a high frequency.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  7. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

You can turn the brake controller to zero and power is off now. Im not sure if it would work thats why im asking for help.
    Thanks guys Jeff

8. shovelracer

I would imagine that if you ran continuous power through a switch to the brake input it could work. You would be giving up any smart features like overload protection, so if your spreader gets bound up and the controller keeps feeding power you could cook the motor. I guess as long as your controller can handle the motor amp draw and the wiring is adequate there isnt any reason it couldnt work.

9. shovelracer

To simplify it should work in theory. Electric motors speed is determined by volts. More volts more RPM. A variable controller regulates the volts being sent to the device. This changes the RPM.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For some reason I was under the impression that the brake contollers actually regulated the current flow, the voltage stays current at 12V. I'll have to check that out....

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There has to be a cheaper varible speed switch out there, brake controlers are $50 minimum (mine were more). If it burns up you'll have to replace it plus do it right, why not just do it right from the start ?

12. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

The voltage does change so that should work. I just have to see how much much amp draw on the motor.
    Jeff

13. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

Its either this or on a on/off switch
    Jeff

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

??????????? :confused:

You can't get a new (or used) controller?

They are for sale everyday on here. ;)

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I still dont understand why.