1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I use my 3 plug ultramount truck and use it with and older 2 plug ultramount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ff1241, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I'm looking at getting a used plow to keep at my parents cabin almost 2 hours away. I don't want to drive all the way up with my plow on. I have a 3 plug pro plus ultramount now that I use for my properties at home. Can I use my truck with an older 2 plug ultramount? I think just the head light will not work but I would plan on upgrading it. Would also be nice to test run the used plow to make sure it's in working order before I purchas it.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The short answer is no, the lights and functions are powered through the same plug on the older two plug plow. Long answer is you can replace the wires on the "new to you" plow and make it into a three plug. The new plow already has the motor power cable, all you have to do is remove the other plug and replace it with two cables, one for the headlights (11 pin) and the functions cable (3 pin) It's not a big job and those cables are not terribly expensive. Unfortunately you can't just install the three pin functions cable because you need the headlight plug to tell the isolation module that the plow is present.

Part numbers for cables are:
    Functions: 26359
    Lights: 26377

There is a "conversion kit" #28053 But I couldn't find any documentation for it on the Western site. Never the less this kit comes with both of the above harnesses and is probably cheaper than the two individual cables. Web says this kit costs about $135

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  3. jarhead1349

jarhead1349 Junior Member

Just did this mod to my 2 plug UniMount yesterday. All told, I spent about two hours making a UltraUniMount. Take your time and have the wiring diagrams handy. No issues, everything went right together.