1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I use Halite?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been treating rock salt and ran into a snag getting supplied with bulk salt. So yesterday I bought a pallet of Halite. The granules are considerably larger than I had. I'm wondering if this makes a difference in the quality of the salt once its treated. Is Halite simply a trade name? I was surprised at the variation in pricing in the same general area. Got a $2 price spread for 80# bags by the pallet. Anyway, I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake here.

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Mick-

Halite will work just fine. It seems the larger sized granules will burn through accumulated ice and hardpack more easily than the smaller granules. It sounds ridiculous, but I have heard others say the same and have noticed the difference myself.

One thing to consider, although it is probably a minor issue. With smaller particles, there would be more surface area for magic to adhere to. I would guess that the difference in the magic's performance would not even be noticeable when comparing the large and small coated grains.

SnoJob67

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Mick, as previously mentioned, the larger granules will not hold as much Magic. I've ahd bulk salt that was hign in "fines" and some that was very large granules. Tried to keep the application amount the same but I got a lot more material that ran out the bottom of the pile with the granular stuff.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks for the replies. I'm selling treated salt in bulk by the pound. So far, going real good. Sold over a ton to apartment landlords, 25 pounds at a time in less than an hour. Plus a few 55 gallon and 30 gallon barrels. I think the larger granules actually look "neater".

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

We use bagged Morton salt and it's surprising how much variation there is in granule size from one pallet to the next. Some bags have an awful lot of fine particles. I much prefer the larger granules. Aside from what's already been mentioned, it seems that the lager granules spread more evenly. The really fine stuff just doesn't seem to fly that far as it comes off the spinner.