1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I Top Off My Blizzard With Non Blizzard Hydraulic Oil?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

First off, let me say that I've got a few paying customers that I've had for years and I don't actively seek out new customers. I mostly plow my friends and relatives for free as I own a business (I sell and rent shipping containers) that keeps me busy. I can appreciate all you guys who do it for a living and as a main source of income. Personally, you wouldn't want my customers as they all wait to see how much snow we have and then they may or may not call for me to plow them. They are cheap. Sometimes it's more of a pain than it's worth.

Anyway, I've never changed the hydraulic oil in my Blizzard 800 (Built 2004) and today it starting working slow (go figure :blush2:). Wouldn't you know it....the fluid reservoir is almost empty! My question is, how do I change the fluid? Is there a drain plug somewhere? Second, in lieu of changing the fluid, can I just top it off with non Blizzard oil to get me through the next day (we may be getting a few more inches) until I can dump and refill it next week? Also, when I dump the whole reservoir, can I fill the whole thing with non Blizzard oil?

I'm a knucklead.....I know....:dizzy:

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Any of the blue plow fluid will work (Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, SAM, ect) and won't harm your plow. As for changing fluid, there are 4 bolts on your reservoir, take them out and pull off reservoir. Make sure you got a big drain pan underneath. There is a big o-ring sealing platic reservoir to housing. You will then see pump and filters. Clean them or replace. You WILL have black sludge like buildup on bottom of reservoir if you've never changed it before. Bolt it all back together, fill with fluid, and cycle plow. Drop down and refil. Cycle again. Shoulsd be good to go.

P.S. Bottom inside bolt is a %$#&^ without extensions and a universal jointsocket!!

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

It's also much cleaner if you pull a hose off an angle cylinder and empty it with the pump. Not a bad time to flush the cylinders anyway.

4. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Thanks guys. I got my hands on some of the blue fluid, filled her up, and she works great. I guess I'm all set for another five years.....:p (kidding)

I'll pull a hose off one of the cylinders and drain it this week. Is cleaning the filter in the reservoir enough or should I buy a new one?

5. whillysfreak

whillysfreak Junior Member

you can use ATF trans fluid works just the same and is a bit thinner helps when it very cold. There is drain on the block take it out. you shouldn't really need to drain it unless you are putting a lot of hrs on it or had a leak in a fitting and its getting crap in it.

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No ATF is thicker than low temp hydraulic fluid and definitely should not be mixed with the hydraulic fluid.

7. whillysfreak

I have used hydraulic fluids in my plows and they are thicker even friends that work for cat and case have told me so. This is my opinion and experience. I had Meyer fluid freeze up my plow and no there was no water in there it just got so cold and so thick I couldn't get it to warm up and had to drain it out the best i could and my case friend told me ATF would do the trick and it has. He told me I could get fluid from case that be thin like ATF but it only comes in 5gal and not cheap. I live in Wisconsin and it can get Dang cold sometimes and need our gear to work. Again not trying to pick a argument just what I have experienced and I trust my friends that have been working on hydraulic gear for over ten years.

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that ATF works fine also. I like the 2.5 gal jugs you can buy. Ive used the ATF for over 10 years now and never had it freeze up on me yet. Ive had the fluid that came in my brand new meyer, blizzard and western freeze up on me before but never ATF yet.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The biggest difference in fluid is that the blue stuff has moisture inhibitors in it. That is why it is recommended over regular atf.

10. whillysfreak

they also have different viscosity they handle temps differently

11. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

walk across the street to Andross they should be able to help!

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The main issue with using ATF is the thicker fluid causes the motor to work harder and thus drawing more amps leaving it more prone to breakdowns. If you change your fluid annually it will never freeze up.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Never say never. :rolleyes:

Had it happen twice last year, fresh oil in both and milky when we had problems shortly after the service. Changed it again and didn't have any more problems.

The guy in RI might not have a problem with this, but the wax in ATF can separate at colder temps and cause pump problems, I would stay away from it.