1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can I test a ultramount straight blade with my mvp wiring?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PB7179, Sep 29, 2014.

1. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

I lost my mvp plow in a business divorce. So I found a straight blade that I want. My understanding is I'll have to replace the controller and ad a adapter for it. My truck side is 3 plug with a 4 port isolation box. The straight blade is 3 plug. My controller is the round plug ten pin. I'd like to test this plow before I buy it. Owner said that's ok. Is it possible to test the plow with what I have. At least raise and Lower it? Something to prove the plow works. Thanks for any advice.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

No it appears that your Vplow wiring is not compatible. Vplow has a common positive while straight has common negative to the coils. If u plug it in the controller will light up and the power relay will activate but functions will not work because no valves will open.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a 66760K adapter you can test it. You'll need one anyway if you intend to eventually run a straight blade with that control harness.

4. mishnick

That adapter will allow him to test yes but.... he needs the straight blade controller too.

5. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

I am sure I want a straight blade. If I can find the adapter and controller I'm good to go. Should I get a cabcommand controller or solenoid type? I think the answer is cabcommand but not positive. Thanks

6. mishnick

Cab command or solenoid? You have only two choices, joystick or handheld, they are both called "cab command" to my knowledge. They both have a little 6 pin white plastic push-in connector as opposed to the cannon style black one for MVP. Both of these two controllers work with the relay / solenoid. Part numbers 56462 Handheld and 56369 Joystick
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/56624.03_060109.pdf

I have never actually seen one of those adapters so I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had stock. You could just buy a new controller harness and swap it out. That way your new controller would just plug in without the adapter. Part number 26345. I expect the adapter is cheaper but you may have to wait to have it shipped in. And the adapter is more likely to fail because there are two connections instead of just one.

Changing out the whole cable is a bit of a pain but not too bad. Connections at the relay / solenoid, a plug at the headlight harness (or isolation module if you have the 4 port) and of course you have to string it into the cab and reconnect to your ignition source. The relay / solenoid connections are where most people get in trouble. The two small eyelets go on the small terminals, either way, no polarity. The single large eyelet must go on either the positive (hot) side of the relay or directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Just take the wires off one at a time and substitute the new ones as you go.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

8. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

You guys nailed it. Thanks so much. I tried several searches but came up short. Probably not asking the right questions.

I was registered here several years ago. I lost my user name and password so I had to reregister.

I know what I need. I'll update as soon as I get it home. Thanks again

9. mishnick

10. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

Handheld cab controller pn 56462 is $321.76
    The mvp to straight blade adapter pn 66760k is $57.86
    The fisher pn for adapter is pn 21792k

So all in stock at our local western dealer. Is there a better source? Someone affiliated with the site? I like to buy from the little guy or more helpful shop.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Jim @ esi trucks

12. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cubicinches is right on. Mishnick, no offense, but your first answer was wrong, and getting the adapter makes way more sense than changing out the main harness.

13. mishnick

First was wrong about what Nealybird? Controller being called Cab Command or V wiring not being compatible to plug in and test a straight blade directly?

I agree the adapter is much cheaper and easier, I didn't expect it to be so readily available, changing the cable was just an alternative options.

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sorry for the confusion. I just meant the first statement about them not being compatible. maybe you meant with a v-plow control. but anyway, no worries.

He needed to know if there was a way to hook up a 3plug iso wiring straight plow to his MVP 3 plug wired truck, so he could make sure the plow worked before he bought it. So, yes, he just needs that adapter, and the 6 pin control (which the guy that owns the plow probably has), and he can hook it up and run it fine.

.. and yes the handheld controls are the cab commands, and the joystick is just called a joystick. :)

15. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

So I bought the plow. Turned out to be a friend helping a widow. Young woman lost her husband 2 years ago. He was in an accident with the plow truck. Plow was dropped on the lawn and all else was lost in the accident. So no way to test it. No big deal.

Plow is a 8' pro ultramount. It has rubber snow deflector and steel wings to make it ten foot. A little rusty but for $1300 not bad. Not sure if wings are manufactured or home built. All she knew is they were on the plow when he bought it.

16. mishnick

Sounds like a pretty good deal. If you can't tell if the wings are fabricated then they must be well built!

Did you test it with the adapter? Does it work?
    When you asked about the adapter I thought you meant an adapter at the grill. Sorry if I added confusion to the issue.

17. PB7179

PB7179 Junior Member
    from SE MI

I have not tested it yet. Maybe by the weekend. I found a source for the straight blade controller for $250 and adapter $50 both new in box items. The motor is pretty rusty so I might replace that.