1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I take the blower unit off a blower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Smitty58, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the blower part off the front end of a snowblower. I have a 8hp 28" cub cadet that I am thinking about putting a plow on. It looks like I can remove the whole blower assembly but not sure. What I have in mind is a walk behind plow like the old gravelys.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if that will work well for you. The thing with the old gravelys is they were heavy for the traction. I would think putting a plow on the front of a snowblower frame would just make the wheels spin. I just don't think it would be heavy enough to push more than 1 inch or so of snow unless it was a very dry snow. imo.

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

It is a pretty heavy blower but you may be correct. Maybe I'll just add the blade to the front to keep as much weight behind it. I've seen guys do the same thing with walk behind mowers so I'm thinking it would work ,just don't know how well.

4. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I know with my Honda blowers which are pretty heavy for a snow blower and fairly good traction with the track models, they don't push through the snow very far without the auger on blowing it, I think this would seem to simulate having a plow. IMO I don't think it would be worth it but if you have some scarp metal kicking around nothing will be lost except your time.

Freddy

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

When I was younger, I took the auger out of my parent's snowblower and used it as a plow. They bog down kinda quick, can't do long pushes unless you let the blade ride up on the first pass and only skim off the top.

6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just purchased a simplicity 38" snowthrower instead of a DR power unit with the blade because I was afraid of not having enough traction.