1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I Swap A Diesel In Place Of V10???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 13, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I HAVE A 1998 2500 4X4 WITH A V10 AUTO TRANS.AND JUST WONDERED IF A DIESEL WILL SWAP IN?I KNOW THE TRANS WILL SWAP BUT ARE THE GEAR RATIOS THE SAME FOR GAS AND DIESEL.WILL I NEED TO BUY A NEW ECM.OR IS THIS JUST A HOPLESS DREAM.I FOUND A 24V CUMMINS FOR CHEAP SO ITS KINDA GOT ME THINKING.OK GUYS HELP A CANADIAN GUY OUT :drinkup:

2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Sell it and buy a diesel It will be much cheaper.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sell it and buy a diesel.
    Different ratios in the tranny so they don;t work, different ECM, different Fuel system, different Radiator, need an intercooler and tranny cooler that you don't have on a gasser, different front springs, different main wiring harness I think too ($1600 from a dealer and not available anywhere else), different exhaust system completely. Different dash board- gauges are totally different and incompatible.. and the list goes on.

4. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Thanks guys that is what I was thinking.I thought maybe you guys might have knew some tricks that I didn't.So I guess I'm stuck with the V10 for awile.I have to keep it since it has a new rad new rear end and new front end.So it will be awile :( till I am behind the wheel of a big diesel.Thanks guys