1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i store bagged salt outside?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maelawncare, Aug 30, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well im FINALLY getting concrete in my garage and i have 2 pallets of salt in there that have to be moved before i can pour it.

So can how long do you thing i can store bagged salt outside before it turns to bricks? And should i cover it with a tarp?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

UMmm common sense yes yes cover it as best you can , and its till harm , that will not make it turn to bricks,,its the cold

cover it up , 2 tarps.. the salt is expensive right now, so i wouldnt want to take a chance on your product

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

maelawncare: dont worrie about it....it aint gonna rain around here for a long time lol

common sence says not to let it get rained on if it's in paper bag's.....but if it's in plastic you'll be fine.

when we go to hit the sidewalks we'll throw 20-30 bags in the trucks and let it ride around all night and then the next day throw another 20 bag's etc. and who know's how long the bottom bags have been snowed on.......but it dont hurt 'em at all........Bulk salt is a different story

PJ

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it, like PJ said. Leaving it out all year round would be a different story.

5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I storied a couple pallets of bags salt out side for the winter a couple years back. Buy a couple of those cheap tarps and tie them on the pallets good and keep an eye on it, you will be OK. When you move the salt back in your shop, put the tarps that you used to cover the salt in the bed of your truck before you load the salt. This will make cleaning the bed of your truck bed easier and might keep any spilled salt off the melt truck bed. Since you will have green concrete in you shop, I would wait a month or so before moving the salt back in, let the concrete cure good, so if you spill some salt it will not eat the concrete. Make sure you put plastic down on the gravel and pour the concrete on it, this will keep moisture from coming up though the slab

6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Alot of time we buy our bagged salt from a local retail store where they keep it outside. Usually don't have a problem w/ it. Each pallet has a large plastic bag over the entire pallet and is wrapped around the the outside. So, they're pretty much weather proof on their own.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

where do think the baggers abd suppliers store it

8. powerjoke

....uh. WAHAT!?????:confused:

use the spell check till you can spell lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. cretebaby

i didn't know plowsite had its own Madden

10. powerjoke

HUH? :dizzy:

well now youre spelling corectly but youre useing the wrong word's :rolleyes: lol

PJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  11. cretebaby

over your head dude, way over

12. powerjoke

uh......O.K. I'll bite.....

so whatch'ya fishin for there "dude"

o.k. since it's "over my head, way over" ........school me.

it's a term i haven't herd before.....Has anyone else?

i figure this thread is a good place for you to get you're nose clean, since i am pretty sure that the poster has got his concrete poured by now.....

so what's you're beef with me?......the reason i ask is because you seem to be trolling me (notice i didnt call him a troll charles lol) and i am a little confuesed as to why.

you seem to be very up to date with what's going on and seem to find you're way around the site really really well.......have you been here before? ;)

if youre wondering why i am taking a "nice guy" aproach to this, it's because incase you are actually new i dont want to run you off, there is alot of great information on PS and i may learn something from you someday :rolleyes:

p.s. why is snofarmer in Germany when i need him lol

PJ

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

haha, PJ, i think he used the term Madden, in referance to your insteat replace , and his failure to use the spell check.. haha, you did a good job,

just remember that defense uses "X" and offense uses "O" , and i think John Madden used a yellow marker on the screen ,

PJ, maybe you should forward that PM, that you sent me , JD, GV, and a few others, im sure that might educated him on how your thought process works lol

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  14. elite1msmith

from chicago

Y is snofarmer in Germany?

15. cretebaby

pj no offense ment, you just didnt get my madden joke

16. cretebaby

buy the way your spelling aint the best there either

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

are you talking to me or PJ - i have clearly stated many times, i cant spell, and had a snowplow cut a figure off a few yrs ago, which gives me typing problems, i do forget to use the spell check...

18. cretebaby

pj, sorry man

19. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I thought it was a beer tap.......for the records i just cant spell because im a idiot!:p

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i did get ur madden joke... and before you said it , i was thinking the same thing.