1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I steal your ideas???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is the situtation, I need a way to store and load my salt this year. With the customers I have now it will take 5400 lbs per event. That is nothing to most of you guys, but for me thats good. I can't justify buying or leasing a skid steer, it would only be used to load salt, and mabey a few times landscaping each year. I am going to use bulk. Now I can either load bulk salt into super sacks (pre season) and buy a fork lift to load them when I need them, or I could build some sort of elevated storage container and load it a few times per year then when it snows load that way. :dizzy:

Could someone give me an idea? Any kind of storage container or somthing I am missing.

Thanks to all Bossman
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check in to leasing a skidloader. I'm sure theres some place in town that sells bulk salt where you can buy it by before the snow, and they'll load it for you,.
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What's the volume of the v-box and the other spreader you have? Reason being, if you're looking at a yard of product in the v-box and a couple wheelbarrows of it for the smaller one (just a guess), why not dump a pile at the shop or house for the small spreader, and have it loaded for you into the v-box by the supplier's loader? To me that would seem most practical without renting pricy equipment

4. Bossman 92

The closest salt yard is an hour away. Last year I bought from him, then spread the rest by bag. It has to sit in the spreader for too long, and sometimes freezes in. Leasing a loader ($3600) and the only real use I would have for it would be to load the salt.

Keep the ideas coming, sooner or later we will come up with somthing.

5. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

I use bulk magic myself, and what I do is bag my own. Uline is a supplier of plastic bags and I bought their bag sealer. Palletize them in my garage and some on the truck, when it starts snowing I top off the truck with bags and go. Not as good as a loader but better than a shovel. I myself use 4000 to 5000 per storm too. Worst part is I have access to a kubota loader but out of room to store bulk in a pile on property.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

how about a home fab conveyor belt loading system? Something you can shovel from a pile onto the belt instead of shovel & heaving it over the top of the box.
  7. Bossman 92

Not a bad idea there BS, no pun intended! I havent thought about that.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

the other option might be a compact tractor or used skid? Payments to OWN a used machine would be much less than $3600/mo to lease a loader. I bought a Kubota L48 this year and life got so much easier. I don't know how I survived without a similar machine before.
  9. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Home Rescue- Which bags do you use? I got onto the website, but wasnt sure which bags would work. I would like to use bulk this year and bag it up about 50# per bag.
  10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Where's the nearest rental for a Bobcat? It would seem to me that maybe spending $100 a couple times over the winter might be a far better idea than keeping something around that cost you $3500 for the season.

What about other contractors in the area, or at the very least some old farmer a mile or two away that you could slide a $100 to load the stuff a few times over the winter? You're gonna need a network of contractors to bail you out anyway (we all do... it's no dig on you), so surely one will have a loader to borrow/rent/hire as needed

11. Bossman 92

I will need to salt on average 20 times this season, and I don't always know when that might be. So renting one on a day to day basis is not a good idea. I have a few buddies that also salt but they use far less than I do, and only handel bags. I have no prolbem renting a skid a few times a year to re-load my hopper, but I can't justify letting one sit around waiting for snow.

12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Do a search for Alan. Old post will have an auger setup he was using. I used a similiar setup for years with a conveyor instead. Works well just not as fast as loading with a skid.

Much more convenient and dependable to have your own supply rather then depending on a dealer to be open and have enough.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Being a Farmer I agree with the auger or conveyor idea. It will be a PITA but you will be able to buy a small auger for alot less then renting a skid for a month. Fertilizer is alot like salt and it will go up an auger fine. It will be alot more work shovelling but you won't have to go to the gym all winter. Good luck.
  14. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

we have a small cat skidsteer 226 and we finaced it...if i recall it was 400something a month for i wanna say 3yrs 0% down 0% interset for 36mos but that might be another idea...i know cat makes a small skid steer and im sure it would be cheaper then what we paid for ours...we use ares to plow and to load...

then in the summer run an add for skid steer services....and list what you can do...

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Two things come to mind
    1 an auger or conveyor with one end sunk into the floor of whatever you keep your salt in so you can shovel salt into a hole or possibly push the salt into the hole with a 4 wheeler or lawn mower or anything you currently own
    2 mount a gravity box on top of those large cement blocks you can get at the ready mix concrete plant then just pull underneath and open the chute of course you will have to get the salt up there but an auger would do that when the bulk is delivered and that would be on a day when time isnt quite as important. another way if you have a large drop in land with a retaining wall or something like that and you may be able to leave the running gear on the gravity box and park on top of the retaining wall and run a chute down to where you load the truck
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like your idea of the gravity box but with my experiece with wet corn and fertilizer you will be shoveling the gravity box out anyway, so you might as well load right into the truck. JMO I never though of pushing the salt in with a 4 wheeler or lawn tractor, great idea. We used to store corn in our driving shed and we had a auger in the floor that we pushed corn in with a skid and it worked real good.
  17. Bossman 92

I think I may have an idea. I found 2 old grain wagons, the kind where you turn the wheel and it opens the shute. I am going to go back today and find out if they want to sell them. If they do I may load them with dry salt and park both inside at the shop. I also found an old grain auger that I could use to lift the salt from the wagons to the V box. I will know better after this weekend.

Can anyone else think of a better way?
  18. daplowman

daplowman Member

These are alot of great ideas

The only thing i would be concerned with is the dampness. Could you imagine shoveling out a grain trailer in dead of winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

20. Bossman 92

Thats not a bad idea basher, where would I find one?

daplow man, I am going to buy a few skids of bagged salt just in case! I can keep the salt some what warm if I need to.