1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I spread bulk salt through a tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wwhite, Nov 30, 2013.

1. wwhite

wwhite Junior Member

I have a buyers tgso5 spreader and I use a fertilize spreader on back of my tractor. I was just wondering if I could use bulk salt with these spreaders? If so I was going to purchase another tailgate spreader if I could use bulk. I have never dealt with bulk salt but i figured i could lay a piece of expanded metal to on top of the spreders to screen the clumps of salt out. I currently run three trucks and a tractor and in a years time I could save alot of money if this works. Bulk salt would defiantly save money using my brine maker. Thanks for any advice

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

yes just keep it dry and empty when done

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Buy and install a vibrator. Bulk will always clump and jam. Vibrator will keep it working.

4. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

A vibrator is a must. As long as you have that, it will work.

5. wwhite

wwhite Junior Member

Thanks for the advise. I will get some bulk ordered. I can get it delivered for 85 a ton and the cheapest I pay for a bag is 4.50. This will save me alot of money over time. I already have a concrete pad and place to put it. Just need a top for it. Thanks once again.

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

each time u spread turn the vibrator on then the spreader... We use bulk all the time