1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I "silence a snowblower?" using a muffler ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Feb 1, 2007.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I have a resi route and use snowblowers. The noise is not acceptable at 3:00 a.m of course so I wanted to know if anyone has put a muffler of some type onto a snowblower to make it quiet. Specifically toro snow commanders (7hp 2cycle engine). Or, any info on installing a muffler or silencer type dealie onto a 2 cycle engine would be appreciated.

I'm also interested in the possibility of installing catalytic converters onto 2 cycle handheld or other equipment to reduce pollution. Just want to know if it's possible. I'd pay 100$ to have a quiet snowblower or cleaner burning equipment. Any comments or help apprecated. Thanks!
  2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I have justed fired them up at 4 or even 3 in the morning.If they want to get out to go to work they have to understand.I have never had a complaint.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I tried that on one of my snowkings and it wouldnt run good.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I always try to make some kind of noise. I feel if they hear me, then they know I was there when I send them the bill for plowing. I always put flowmaster duals on my trucks, kinda funny when you see lights go on at 3 am when you blip the throttle a little when stacking a decent pile.:D But to answer your question I really dont know of a way to effectively silence a snow blower. I think if they were intended to be quiet, they would have been that way from the factory. thats just my opinion
  5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Noise IS an issue at 3am in an upscale resi community with neighbors one on top of the other.
    I HAVE been stopped by police at 3am. What I normally do when it's too late for blowers is shovel steps and anything else I can do then go back later and snow blow (tight arse route so it's no biggie). Now, if there's a blizzard I say F U to all and just use the blowers all night.

I think snowblowers could be quiter if cost were not an issue.
    I know the giant engine on my truck is quieter than my snowblowers.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

no idea bro if your too scared to fire it up then your just gonna have to shovel.
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I think Honda...

Personally I think Honda Power Equipment is some of the quietest going...

8. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

the only suggestion i have is to maybe try a four stroke blower.. it may not be much quieter but the sound might not be as bad.. also the toro's we have don't have a throttle they run full rpms all the time.. the one four stroke we have can idle down but have never tried to blow snow with it at a low idle, I'm pretty sure u could in a light snow..
  9. Two strokes are notoriously loud to begin with, but I'd be interested to see if someone can fab up something to use to control the noise. I was out the other week at 3am and I felt bad. I'm sure the dropping of the blade and the scraping sound woke everyone in the house up. In fact the old lady next door came out, I thought she was going to yell at me but she wanted me to do her driveway too! The company that clears the condos across the street from me run their snowblowers any time they're working and they don't seem to mind and it's an upper scale place with many older folks.
  10. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

I have never had a complaint from any customer or their neighbors for that matter. I think of snow removal as an emergency situation around here, If we let it sit on sidewalks until say 7AM it very well could be frozen solid.
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have seen a guy a few years ago that adapted a RV generator muffler to his.

The sound was almost non-existent.

The only drawback? It was so big compared to the old one he had to fab up a bracket on the side to hold it.

This was about 5 years ago and I have not seen if he still uses it as I don't work with him any longer.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

snow shovel

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I'd check with a local motorcycle shop or something for a smallish muffler wiht a small input...those little dirt bikes you can get for kids have pretty small motors, there might be something you cna fab up, but its going to be a jerry rig.

Wouldn't they be able to figure out you were there some way other than you waking them up? Maybe by looking at the driveway and seeing that you plowed it? I disagree with this practice and would choose another plowman if you kept waking me up at night.
  14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

my customers are made aware up front that there will be noise......nature of the beast....I have never had a complaint....

as for the police I would look into what the local laws/ordinaces say......and tailor services to that.......

15. 06D-MAX

06D-MAX Junior Member

Muffling Snow Thrower

You Might Want To Try Using Steel Wool In So Sort Of Home Made Muffler System That Is What Is Used In Fire Arm Silencers
  16. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A problem with two strokes...And what youd like to do..

A Big problem with modifying a two stroke exhaust is that Two Strokes rely on a certain exhaust profile to make power...Chances are more than not that changing or restricting the exhaust will hurt the performance....Just a thought..
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would stay away from this one. The steel wool would start on fire or
    get cloged with unburned oil.

What do you need a silencer for?

True, a 2cycle needs a tuned exhaust for the best performance.

Can you redirect the exhaust toward the ground.
    Is it really that loud?? Or does it just seem loud..
    Start your blower and go inside your house, now how loud is it.

If your customers are awoken by you they probably do not mind as they will know that the drive will be clear of snow.
    Plus, you are not there every day just when it snows, so I think you are worrying for nothing as most all snow blowers all regulated as to how much noise they can make.
  18. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies.

If the noise wasn't a problem I wouldn't ask the question.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't think it will be worth the trouble to try to quiet the blowers. Local laws say no power equip after 8pm or before 8am so if someone complains the police do come. It doesn't happen often and like I said, in a big storm, f it, I'm working -too bad. I'll also shovel steps if it's too late for a blower and then go back early am.

hope for snow tonight on long island biznatches.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We have the similar ordnances here regarding power equipment.
    Let them call the cops ( I bet they don't)

I have had the cops called on me for making noise at 3am. He(police) rolled up in the snow storm rolled down his window and said; It's you that is making all the noise! Well the snow has go to doesn't it? See you later....

I would not worry to much about it. Plus who would be calling the cops your customers?
  20. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

No, customers wouldn't call, the neighbors would call. I haven't had much of a problem with it at all really, but if it were easy to make the snowblower quiet I would do it in consideration of my customers and their neighbors (potential customers). Plus, the noise annoys ME after 8 hours of it!