1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can i run bulk out of TGS 1100

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BRL1, Mar 2, 2015.

1. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Hey guys im running into some salt shortages and I was wondering if I would be able to run a bulk salt/sand mix out of my Boss tgs1100 I do have the vibrator kit.
    Does anyone do this or have any recommendations?

2. kendog

kendog Junior Member
    from chicago

yes! I have been running bulk salt through my boss 1100 for 4 seasons without a problem. the salt will stick once in awhile so you have to turn on the vibrator intermittently to let it flow. don't leave the vibrator on constantly or it will pack the salt in the funnel,also don't leave the salt in the hopper overnight or it could start clumping on you!

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Awesome! that's what I needed to know, Thank you
    Also, how to you transport the material. I was thinking about filling up some 50gal garbage cans with the lids and shoveling it in

4. kendog

kendog Junior Member
    from chicago

I go to the supplier and shovel it on to the spreader right off of the stockpile. the supplier is in close proximity to the lots that I salt so it works out great for me. he charges me 40.00 to fill up the hopper so I save about 50.00 versus bagged every time that I fill it. the vibrator that I installed 4 years ago has saved me thousands in salt costs!! the only downside is that sometimes I cant get salt in the middle of the night! I have a couple of pallets of bagged salt that I store just in case I need it in the middle of the night!

5. m3klee

m3klee Member

i'm glad brl asked this question as I am looking at buying the same salter. don't mean to highjack your post but whats your guys opinion on the tgs 1100 being you both have one? I know its basically the end of the season but i'm trying to upgrade for next season now.

6. kendog

kendog Junior Member
    from chicago

I bought my tgs1100 new in 2007 and would buy another one in a heartbeat. since new I have changed the motor twice! this is to be expected do to the usage of the spinner motor! as much as boss tries to protect the motor from the salt residue,it still gets to the motor in time! I fill my hopper 2 times during each salting event so I would say that over the years the salter has seen a lot of action! the only complaint that I have is that I always get hardened salt build up underneath the spinner and I have to take a long screwdriver out and clear it up otherwise the spinner binds up and goes into overload.before I bought this spreader I had owned a meyermate and a tgs snowdogg spreader. on both of those units I was changing the spinner motor every year! I would highly recommend that you put a vibrator on whatever unit that you decide to purchase! I also have a worklight hooked up to mine, that way you can see your spread pattern thru your side mirror!

7. m3klee

m3klee Member

thanks kendog, I have a small meyer bl240 right now and am doing more now so its time to step up, I'm definitely going to add a vibrator to it and I have 2 led lights on my one now as back up lights and one more as a sander light. ive been doing my research and like to boss one the best I think. its just always nice to get peoples opinions that already have them

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I am very impressed with this spreader. They are expencive but you get what you pay for and I'm ocd about having matching equipment. The attachment system works well and is super easy to take off with one person. Its really light to wheel around on the wheels and holds a lot of salt! I would buy another one if I needed one.

So I tried out the salt sand mix this am and just like you said kendawg it works fine. Almost works like a v box spreader. You set your spinner and then use the vibrator to feed. Didn't clog up and spread everything evenly.

9. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

When salt shortages become an issue...buy water softener salt. Been running is for 17 years...I get it for $4.64 for a 40 pound bag. My clients love it because it doesn't leave behind all the little stones all through their parking lots and it doesn't track and make as much of a mess in their buildings. I use it on a national car rental business, a school, a day care, a couple gas stations, apartment complexes, and many other random business clients...never once had a single complaints of it not working as good as bagged rock salt or bulk salt.

10. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Thanks for the tip ill look into that:drinkup:

11. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

It's the blue bag...Solar Salt. I guess there are a few types of softener salt. The blue bag is 1B sized.

12. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I also hate to run in here and hijack but have a question about this spreader also. How many 50lb bags can you put in the hopper?? I figure that's the easiest way for me to ask instead of how many pounds of salt...... I'm running the mini pro 575 snowed but am in the same situation thinking of going to bulk for money savings but hate getting out of the truck so often.... I was eyeballing the salt Dogg tgs07 I think is the model.... There biggest one that is... But I LOVE the quick attach on this boss spreader and it is the main reason I'm interested!!

13. homerpete

homerpete Member
    from Iowa

I believe I had (18) 50 pound bags in mine over the weekend and it was flush with the top.