1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can I put in a bigger battery?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mow4real, Jan 30, 2004.

1. mow4real

mow4real Junior Member

:drinkup: I don't have any true mechanical expertise and pose and simple question:

Will putting in an oversized battery do damage to my truck?

I have extra F250 batteries I keep around as backups and was wondering if installing such a strong battery into a V6 Tacoma would brake something.
    (Yes, I know I should upgrade the alternators in both trucks):D
  2. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

yeah you can put in the bigger battery that will go in your truck..
    I am using a big truck battery..
    I am thinking about put in other battery for the plow it's self apart from truck battery but.. it will charge up both battery from the same alt.. with a switch that takes apart both batterys and turn on so the alt will keep both up when engine is running.

I think I need to look in a bigger alt like my tractors have.
    am't sure how to do it that my dodge is different from them. so I will have to look in to it.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

put a optima deep cycle yellow top battery mine is great i run it in a dodge
  4. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Plowman, where you get that optima deep cycle yellow top battery from?
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

you can also install a high output alternator in your vehicle...just make sure to check with a professional to ensure you do not cook the wiring.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

summit racing equip free shipping when i got it
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

A bigger battery will be fine as long as you properly mount it. Most trucks have the biggest that will fit in the tray. Just make sure you will still be able to secure it.

If you get dual batteries, hook them direct + to +, - to - with heavy gauge battery wire. This will absorb the plow hoist load much better. It taps both batteries. Plus you get better cold starts, as you effectively double you CCA.

I plowed 3 driveways and drove 8 miles with a DEAD alternator on Wednesday. Was running on pure battery power. Engine stalled once when lifting plow (thats when I realized it was cooked!) Got a jump start and babied it back home. Got a 145 Amp built for it in 2 hrs by a local Gen. SHop. Should be fine for another 3-5 years.
  8. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

Ive got dual batts in my ram 2500 but not in my GMC, i will be adding the biggest, meanest second battery i can find in the spring.

As far as the alternator goes, they are too expensive to monkey with until they break.
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Actually if your going to run connected dual batteries, you should run TWO of the same type, brand, age batteries. Don't want one pulling the other down or working harder than the other.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The voltage is the same, the difference is the cold cranking amps and the reserve. Measure the tray the battery is in, if the battery will fit install it. Make sure it's secured in the tray with the correct type tie downs. banging around will kill it quick and falling off the tray ain't good either.
  11. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i vote for the optima also. it cost me $115.00 and worth every penny. has excellent recovery from running down (i leave my lites on alot):jester:
  12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you could tell me all the reasons why you think the deep cycle is better on a plow truck vs. regular 1000 cca battery.
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

While I don't use Optima batteries, I am a strong beleiver in them. They may be my next batteries, but their CCA's are lower than most "regular" batteries. The ones I would use would be the regular RED top Optima's. I don't think we discharge a battery low enough for a YELLOW top (deep cell) to be beneficial. All we need is power in 3 second bursts to lift/angle/etc. Not 3 hours worth of drain.

I ran my truck over 3 hrs with NO alternator. And yes part of that was with ALL headlights on, beacon on, spreader on and plow lifting and angling! I could have NEVER done that without the capacity and reserve of the Directly connnected Dual Battery setup.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The theory behind the deep cycle is that they are designed to be discharged until almost dead. I have seen 3 new batteries die after being discharged totally. They were 3 year free replacement batteries too, not cheap ones. The deep cycle may just last a lot longer and could be worth it to install. Some people here just can't afford to have bigger charging systems or duel batteries installed by someone. Or even have the under hood space. I have a 1,000cca battery and 100 amp alt , it recovers quickly and I have not been in "low power zone" in a while.
  15. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Deep cycle batteries don't like hard discharges,(cranking, plow motors,etc). They like slow down and slow charge. I use dual terminal batteries in all my trucks. Separate connections for plow, and I hook plow ground straight to battery.

Check height on battery if going bigger Saw truck burned to shell from battery shorting out to hood when hood was shut on new install....Chuck
  16. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sorry for repost