1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I put a plow on a Dodge 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Do you guy's think I could put a plow on a 1/2 Dodge 4X4 just to do a few driveway's? If so what one should I be looking at?

2. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

You have many options for that truck. If your loking only to hit a couple drives then a 7 foot is fine if you may have incentive to do more go with a 7.5 or 8 foot blade. Depending on what you do you may need to beef up your front suspension. Click on search at the top of the page and you should come up with some helpfull info.

3. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

mjmstaff,
    I just put a 7 1/2' Western on my '95 1/2 ton 4X4. You should have no problems doing that. Like sos said you may want to beef up your front suspension (like adding a set of timbrens for example) and add a tranny cooler. If your truck is still under warranty you might want to check with your dealer to see if adding a plow would void it. Other than that your truck should do just fine. Have fun!! :bluebounc

4. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

if it's got the solid front end your in good shape. i'd look into at least a 7 1/2' blade for your truck. i think you'd be making a mess with a 7' as it doesn't clean enough past the tires.

if your using it on just a couple of driveways, i'd look into a lighter duty plow with perhaps a poly mold board.

5. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Just and FYI if you have not looked at plows yet. The Poly blades look better longer and are heavier than a steel blade. A Western and Meyers run close in price by me, around $3400 installed.

Tony
    Skip's Outdoor Service

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

a 7.5 meyer, fisher, western, sno-way, diamond will all work great:)

7. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

hey HI dodge truck..
    what year is your dodge???
    I have a 74 dodge 3/4 ton.. used to plow with a 1/2 ton did fine with some weights in back.

right now I am using a north man plow with my own home make mounths.

see pic of truck but dont have pic of mounths yet.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Im looking a 99 1500 with 5.9 im putting a 7.5 western pro there great plow trucks i would stick with a western or meyers

9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Dodge 1500 w/Boss plow

kipplowtruck.jpg

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what year and size im thinking of getting a 99

11. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

From his signature I am guessing he is looking at putting it on the 95 Ram 1500.

12. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

I've got a '98 GMC 1/2 ton, and I'm really leaning hard at getting the 7'6" Boss V-plow put on my truck... It's a porker, (790#), but everyone is telling me that with Timbrens I'll be good to go. I'm even thinking of getting the Timbrens for the rear of my truck and using a Fisher Model 500 tailgate spreader as my ballast instead of just throwing weight in the back of my truck... May as well make it useful weight, right? Back to the topic though, from everything I'm reading, as long as you set up your truck properly, you'll have no problems plowing w/a 1/2 ton...

13. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Thanks guys for all the info and SOS, you are correct. It is a 95 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 5.9L.