1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can I push snow on neighbor's property? (CT)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by L&TScaping, Jan 3, 2014.

1. L&TScaping

L&TScaping Junior Member
    from CT

I started plowing this year and was wondering if I'm breaking any laws by pushing snow out of a customer's driveway, across the street, and on to the neighbor across the street's lawn. I don't like to do that, but in certain situations there's nowhere else to put the snow. Sometimes leaving it on the road would prevent the mailman from pulling up to mailboxes.

Am I within my rights to push snow on other peoples' property? What are possible fines if I'm violating something?

Thanks folks...by the way, I'm in Fairfield County.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Normally its not a good idea and yes, illegal in certain areas.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Check state and town regulations, if there is no law forbidding I'd approach the neighbor to make sure they have no problem with it.
    If it's against the law or the neighbor won't go for it sounds like you'll be selling pile relocation or pushbacks with a loader.
  4. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

i believe its illegal to push snow across a street in the first place

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

My neighbor does not like me, so I pushed the next door neighbor to him into his yard Thumbs Up

That'll do, he was not too happy :drinkup:

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Plow from the street IN. The snow belongs to the property on which it fell. It's illegal to push snow into or across public roads. It's jerks that trail snow into the road that make it hard for those of us that do it right.
  7. camp61

camp61 Member

Push it forward out to just short of the street, then turn around and push it into customers front yard. As said, it belongs on your customers property.
  8. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

So i guess you wouldn't have a problem with a neighbor pushing snow onto your property then.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Glad I live in the country ,,

But I try and keep it all on the property of I can, of anyone ask the snow across the road is what the town plow put in mine to begin with I'm just giving it back.

I time it just right so he comes along and cleans up my mess anyway lol
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I can see his reasoning...
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I do believe it's technically illegal. Although depending on how far you push it in it might be on public property. Usually the city/town owns typically 9' from the gutter or curb line in. It varies. What I will do is push it out into road a little and then quickly (no witnesses) blend it in with what was plowed by the city trucks by plowing up the street as I leave. Won't work though if there's other drives close, or you'll bury there aprons. Push it in as others suggest.
  12. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Yes it illegal in CT to plow snow off private property. All snow must remain on the property of the where the snow can from. If the owner files a report with the PD you will cover ALL the costs associated with removel of snow from their property(theY don't have to allow you to do it). It is also illegal to push snow into a public roadway Fines range from 250 to 500 per event push out two drivways it's 250 per driveway along with all costs associated with removel of the snow.

On another note quietly ask in the town you plow in about snow piled along curb lines or driveway entrances some have regs about how high and close. They can knockdown the piles and send you a bill if if deterimed to be a public safety hazard. After last years blizzard the PD's seem to like to give out lots of tickets for it this year
  13. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you shitting me !?
  14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just had a brainstorm! If the neighbors have kids maybe you would be doing them a favor by providing a large pile of snow for their enjoyment !For a small fee though .Thumbs Up
  15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I cannot speak for you state but in MN it is illegal to push snow across a public street.
    As stated above the city/county/state what ever has easment from the curb. If they come by to push back and something such as a wing breaks, the property owner of the snow(the house you plow) will be liable to pay for the repairs. I will bet they will pin you with that bill.
  16. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

However if the neighbor has a snowblower and his snow blows into your yard it usually gets layered nice and even ontop of your existing snow and you cant really tell or prove where it came from hell probably get away with it. a plow leaves more evidence.:)
  17. zexed99gt

zexed99gt Junior Member

there is nothing wrong with it another stupid law, but don't stack the snow 20 feet high on their lawn im in Litchfield county and I don't have a problem with anyone complaining about pushing out into the street or them pushing onto my side ... bottom line talk to them if you think it will be a problem
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It's against the law here, but then again it's also illegal to fart in public places as well.

Can't tell you how many times I see a plow contractor take his snow piles, push them across two lanes of 50 MPH highway, smash the pile up against the cement barrier in the middle, and think it's perfectly acceptable to do so...

The snow police are only on duty here when the doughnut shops are closed

19. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Here in NY it is illegal to plow snow into the roadway. You also shouldn't be plowing onto someone else's property. With that said, my parents have no place to put snow. When I plow, I plow it across the road but no further than the existing snow bank. I then push the snow down the road, with the plow angled, and spread it along the existing bank. I do not put it on the neighbors lawn and no one has ever said anything. Obviously, the road needs to be cleared just as it was when you started. It's all about using your head and not being an *ss. As for laws, the police have discretion and if your sensible, so are they!

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

It is illegal to push snow into or across a public roadway in CT. Plenty of people still do it bit you could wind up with a ticket if you got caught